Featured Vintage Bottle Cap Choker

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Thrifster, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

I got this vintage bottle cap choker in a thrift shop grab bag I purchased a couple of years ago. I think it's most likely from around 1950. I know the soda companies used a lot of famous people to endorse their products and was wondering if the image top was part of some promotional thing or just an image someone got and put on the bottle top from somewhere else and made the choker. The bottle top says on it "Nehi Royal Crown Bottling Co Stamps Ark". I did some research and could not find this Nehi Royal Crown bottle top with these images on them. Does anyone have any info on this or know any additional information? Thanks in advance for any info!

HPIM7489.JPG HPIM7490.JPG HPIM7491.JPG HPIM7493.JPG HPIM7494.JPG

cxgirl, Aquitaine, wenna and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it 'is' true....blonds have more fun !! :hilarious:

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This looks more like a home crafts project rather than anything factory produced. Will be surprised if you find any other bottle caps quite like these.

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thriftster, I've never seen any bottle caps like those. I remember the cork-lined caps from the 1950's-60's, but definitely not the pictures on top. Are those pictures "glued on", or are they original to the caps?

If they ARE original, I wonder if the guy at this site might be of any help:

https://www.antiqueadvertisingexpert.com/soda-collectibles/

His contact info is at the top of the page.

cxgirl, Aquitaine, Lucille.b and 7 others like this.
  5. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

I would agree with you, Bronwen, but to my surprise, I've just come across a pair of Heineken Beer earrings. However, the same search revealed a number of DIY tutorials on bottle cap jewellery, old and new, so I'm with you on this one.

Aquitaine, i need help, judy and 5 others like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like the caps were never on bottles.It could have been something an employee took or promotional piece.

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

i need help and judy like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Ask the expert! Radar!!!

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  9. Thrifster

Thanks everyone for the replies and the links. SBSVC I think the pictures are a threaded layer type adhesive sticker, I don't see anywhere around the outside where glue appears. They seem to have been made specifically for the bottle top. I'm including a close up image of the image top below. Also, I have seen the bottle top earrings before and I actually have a few older ones but I have never seen a choker or necklace made with them.

HPIM7495.JPG
    HPIM7497.JPG HPIM7496.JPG HPIM7500.JPG HPIM7503.JPG

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thrifster, yes, the pictures do look as if they've been applied on top. Someone's crafts project, then, with a touch of whimsy.

11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The bottle cap necklace.
    Not a crafts project per se.
    I have seen this kind of work from wholesalers. There are quite a few independent artisans who set up at gift shows who ply their wares to boutique stores rather than box stores. Not mass produced in the millions, but certainly produced in large numbers. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find that is what this is.

The key chain balls have been a popular chain for the last 10 years or so. Not a 1950s necklace.

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Thrifster

Thanks for the info SBSVC and clutteredcloset49. I would have to agree, the more I look the more I see some of these items.

clutteredcloset49 and SBSVC like this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and SBSVC like this.
  14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

But has anyone found any with the edge crimped the way the OP's is?

Just curious how that was done.

15. Hollyblue

That's how they were made,modern caps are not as "tall" because of the thin plastic on the inside as opposed to the thicker cork liner.

16. Jivvy

I didn't explain that right -- I mean the upward curl that makes a moat around the center.

17. Hollyblue

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  18. Jivvy

Alrighty then, I would not have called that "flattened," but there they are!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember my grandparents had bags of brass bottle caps. My gramps made dozens of bottles of home brewed root beer every year. I saved the bottling form but never saved the brass caps. Years later I wanted to make his root beer since I had his recipe but was unable to find the needed caps.:oops:. I gave up and sold the "capper" then when the Internet started I find lots of companies selling the caps.
    Damn now I am getting thirsty for a root beer. Gramps root beer tasted like Dad's Old fashioned Root Beer.
    greg

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  20. Hollyblue

@gregsglass
    When were you looking for caps? When we lived at Yorktown,Va. in the mid 70's a member of the local gem and mineral club brought homemade beer to a club picnic.He told us 2 local grocery stores carried every thing we would need.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted