Vintage camel saddle stool — anyone have more info?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jennifer Plesman Jackson, May 7, 2019.

1. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Jennifer Plesman Jackson Kees’ daughter

Another one of my parent’s wonderful items in their home that has been here for 60ish years or so ... as long as I can remember. The size is 16w x 11d x 14h. Is this for a child or is it full size? From Egypt? The leather seat once had something raised in the leather but it has all worn off... The legs have really nice emblems on them...

E826F665-670B-4030-9F84-A3B800F0AFA8.jpeg

Michael77 and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the relief of Nefertiti, Egypt is a safe bet.

Debora

3. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

4. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Michael77, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had asked more questions of my mom and dad...

a common refrain.....
    my folks knew so much...that died with them.....
    I'd like it if my kid asked me questions...... but alas..........:yawn::(

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not too bad, and it will look much better after a bit of tlc.
    Did you see they called it Brutalist?:banghead: And the price....:jawdrop:
    Here is one in the Netherlands for 10 euro, but then just about every Dutch household used to have one in the 60s, so there are a lot here.
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/huis-e...285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr

Dawnno, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  7. Jennifer Plesman Jackson

Well, that’s interesting because my mom and dad were Dutch! Dad left in 1934 to work for KLM in Curaçao. Mom was born in Suriname (at the time a Dutch colony) then moved to Curacao where they met. The war intervened and Dad was drafted into the Netherlands Royal Air Force and sent to New York and then to the Royal Netherlands Flying School in Mississippi to train mechanics there. Sent to Australia to maintain aircraft flying in the Pacific theater and in May 1946, returned to New York to marry my mother. Rejoined KLM, was transferred to Anchorage, then Tokyo where he retired. I know this has absolutely nothing to do with this camel stool but since he didn’t live in Holland from 1934 on, I wonder why and how get got one of these stools. I wonder why they were so popular with the Dutch? We had such history with Indonesia but Egypt? Hmmmm... Just wondering.

Michael77, komokwa, Dawnno and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Very interesting nonetheless.:)
    Your father may have known my father-in-law. He joined the Netherlands Navy Air Force (Marine Luchtvaartdienst) in 1942, this was before there was a separate Air Force. He trained as a pilot in several places in the US and was posted in Broome, Western Australia, a day after the Japanese bombing of Dutch-Indonesian refugee ships in Broome. He also served in Darwin and was active as a pilot in the Pacific War. He even named his second son Arthur, after General MacArthur.;)
    A general 60s thing, I think. We used to have 'kasbah' style shops here in the 60s, with a lot of North African things. It was probably the same in the US.

Michael77, komokwa and i need help like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

When my folks opened their 'Used Furniture & Antiques' shop in '71 here in Florida, one of the lots bought at auction included a number of similar camel saddle stools, recall that they sold well (my brother kept one of them for years).

~Cheryl

10. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Yes, but the 16 added tacks in the Dutch version detract from the $170 US price at $10 per tack! :greedy::greedy: Now that's brutal.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and i need help like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

JPJ...we thank your Dad for his service !!!

Michael77 and i need help like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    I agree, it is a Brutalist ad.:D

i need help likes this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I know we had a thread on these; but though camel-saddle is the correct name, they were not actually intended to be used for that purpose, but just for seating, sale to tourists, and such. They were modeled after the saddles made for use; but modified so as to be more useful as seating or footstools than as saddles. My parents had a couple, from the Middle East around 1960. If made for use, the seat would be shaped differently, and there would be a way to attach it to a camel, like so:

large_000000.jpg
    9519208_1_l.jpg

Michael77, Figtree3, Dawnno and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted