Vintage cameo brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Chanelle, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Chanelle

Chanelle New Member

I need help in identifying this brooch and the signature on the back. Pls help. Thank u

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Chanelle, you forgot photos. You can embed the ones in the Gallery, by clicking the camera icon.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Chanelle!

Welcome to Antiquers.............

kyratango and i need help like this.
  4. i need help

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Chanelle. Your brooch is more than vintage, the hinge and clasp are 19th century.:)
    The bail at the top looks like it was added later, but it is always nice to have the pendant option. The tiny loop at the bottom used to have a small chain with tiny pin attached, a safety measure before the invention of safety clasps.

Our cameo expert Bronwen has been tagged, she will tell you more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    komokwa, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Chanelle. The putative expert cannot tell you much more than AJ has told you already. The cameo is cut in helmet shell. I'm having difficulty making out details on the figure, but think she might be Ceres?

https://cameotimes.com/index.php/profiles-1/olympian-gods/ceres-demeter

While the way the pin stem is attached to the hinge & the simple C clasp suggest a Victorian era origin, the acid etched G moves it into the 20th century, although I would say early 20th based on the way the cameo has been set in a custom made bezel that follows the shape of the shell.

If the mount is silver in color, it probably is silver, even though unmarked. Chances are it is 800 silver, a lesser fineness than sterling, which is 925.

As for the signature, 'G' is not enough to even make a guess on the identity. Now & then I see pieces with only a G on the back, every one probably a different carver. Many Italian men's names start with G. When a whole name is acid etched it is almost always illegible. Use of this method for signing seems to have been an early 20th practice. Contemporary cameists now sometimes cut their names quite prominently on the front.

8. i need help

B5D38357-7E9B-4E5D-AF3C-8E5BE7BD9FCB.jpeg Just noticed maybe? 800 peeking out here. Maybe you can adjust so we can see better.

9. Bronwen

But of course anything marked on this later addition may not apply to the whole piece. Do you have really sharp eyes or do you go over things with a magnifying glass?

Edit: Sorry INH. See below. Am still awed by how you spot these things.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    komokwa, judy and i need help like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is hiding just under the bail, on the original mount.:)

11. Bronwen

Oh, thanks for directing my eye, even though the circle should have done so. I am exceedingly good at misreading pictures. In the funnies thread I'm still looking for 2 babies & a heart.

12. Bronwen

Looks very much like it. :)

komokwa, judy and i need help like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Does it look like the original pin went top to bottom rather than side to side? Maybe that isn't an 800 mark.

Also it appears there is another letter under the "G".

upload_2020-4-11_8-25-44.png

judy and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

I thought maybe there might be another letter as well. Maybe we can get a photo with the pin open?

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  15. Chanelle

Chanelle New Member

Hi there. Sorry for only replying now. it is gold. Will take more photos. Is it valuable?

16. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Is the gold, 9, 15 or 18ct? That info makes a difference in value.

Draft saved Draft deleted