Featured Vintage Cameras

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vintage Maven, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Me being a photographer, it’s inevitable that I would have a vintage camera collection.

Here’s a couple random selections from my collection, of the 20th century variety....

1951 Agfa-Gervaert Ventura Box Camera; in working order (made in Germany)

1932 Coronet 020 Box Camera, all mechanisms work, but box is oftentimes somewhat finicky to slide apart, so I leave it intact (made in England)

3044B63B-5201-4E56-80E6-202EF48F310F.jpeg 45421698-44CF-4BD8-9EF4-ABD7E800B4DB.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

When I left art school, my first job was with a camera where the film was developed inside the camera back. The camera back was large enough for three of us to walk around, comfortably. :confused:
    Focusing was done by moving the lens board with a 8" crank wheel along a railway line and the subject was lit with four carbon arc lights. Exposures were generally in minutes or fractions thereof. The film came in huge sheets and one wall had a vacuum built into it that held the film sheet in place. I don't know the actual maker but the lens was a Rodenstock that dated from the 1880's. :snaphappy::snaphappy::D
    We made the printing plates for the local newspapers along with other stuff.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:jawdrop: That sounds amazing, Blooey!

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I sure got a kick out of it at the time ..I arrived at the job just a year or so before photoengraving was replaced by newer technology. AFAIK the old equipment was scrapped and the building sold. :arghh:

pearlsnblume and Vintage Maven like this.
  5. Vintage Maven

That does sound amazing @blooey I work a lot with digital because of convenience, but I prefer the look I get from film. I shoot a lot with a Hasselblad 500 C/M with a digital back/film swap out. I would have loved to see the camera you used in full operation, must have been an amazing sight❤️

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't in Winnipeg, but in the 60's and 70's it was the centre of the Canadian universe as far as graphic arts were concerned. Maybe you could find one there still in operation or a museum or something :D:D

7. Vintage Maven

That will be a little side-mission of mine, to see if anyone here knows of this

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  8. Vintage Maven

The sort of Monday it will be for me....have a great day Antiquers!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I took a photography class in college and I can still remember what the chemicals smelled like. I have my 35mm cam somewhere in a closet with some of the lens part and other things. I wasn't very good at taking pics, my hands shook too much during developing.
    My paternal grandfather was excellent at taking photos. He had his own little dark room and I think a Brownie cam which one of my brothers grabbed.

Lovely work VintageMaven.

Vintage Maven likes this.
  10. Vintage Maven

@pearlsnblume We all have a calling for something creatively, you must have found yours somewhere. I guess mine is taking pictures, I was told by an older mentor when I was starting out, I have a unique way of actually “seeing things”. Whenever I take a picture, I see music...if that makes sense. The photos I post to the forum, I actually take using my iPad, I think I do better work with my cameras, but it sure is a lot easier to get a basic concept up using the technology at hand.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted