Vintage? canned goods labels

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

How does one know if you have a repro canned good label or the real deal? I'm looking at 2 Shakers String beans cans
    a50f8dc3c072fe9e17d4a1e00a203a91.jpg One has this color label (rather gray accents on trim and each side of shakers...). and it says nothing about a repro.
    shakers repro.png
    Where as this has almost a teal color trim... but it is on a paint can lid type can and says it is a "repro" and is signed. Seems cut and dry so far... but what if you have one that has the paint can type lid - but has no signature and the trim paint is gray like the original?? Any other clues?

Cheerio Leslie

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Northern Lights Lodge

Hi Debora - The one I have is gray not teal... I'm thinking it is a repro...
    It just looks "too" nice"... and the can doesn't seem right.
    Thank you for your response!
    Leslie

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Could it perhaps be sun faded?

komokwa likes this.
  5. Northern Lights Lodge

Good thought... but I don't think so. The paper looks too substantial and has a somewhat glossy finish. I don't think an "original" would appear so. I think I've talked myself into understanding that it is a repro.

Leslie

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Canned goods that old don't keep that well in my experience. When my cousin went into a nursing home at age 68, I had to clean out her house. There were canned goods in the cupboards from when her mother moved out when she was 18. They had all expanded and burst their seams. That second can looks like a paint can. Never saw veggies in a can like that

Draft saved Draft deleted