Vintage Cartoon Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Hotdamm, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Hotdamm

Hotdamm New Member

I have been searching this vintage cartoon for days and no matter how I change up my search phrase I get images of stuff that have absolutely nothing to do with my image search.

I have checked my search settings and they are fine. Also, the same with goduckgo

Please some of you try it...... Example: vintage cartoon of boy standing on stool with huge pencil or early era etc. etc and tell me if your search is crazy or not IMG_2697[1].JPG IMG_2698[1].JPG IMG_2698[1].JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does look vaguely Hummel-esque but... You haven't provided much context. What is it? A greeting card? Clipping from newspaper? Is it signed? Framed?

Debora

Bakersgma and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And I'm not sure I'd call it a "cartoon." More of an illustration.

Debora

Bakersgma and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Hotdamm

Hotdamm New Member

I had searched as illustration also and no it's not signed. It's frame is some crafty felt type border behind glass as a frame. I swear I have seen this before meaning it was a semi popular image, or so I thought. I feel like i'm in the twilight zone.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Please post a photograph of the full frame front and back to assist with dating. And do provide dimensions of illustraton.

Debora

6. Hotdamm

Hotdamm New Member

It is 4 1/2 x 5 " size

Attached Files:

7. Hotdamm

Hotdamm New Member

BTW I have had two people tell me the little boy is "Tom Thumb" I have researched that also and find no match to the boy in the illustration to "Tom Thumb"

judy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you. Would you go back, please and revise your photo setting from Thumbnail to Full Image? And also, please confirm the color -- to your eye -- of the velvet frame.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... I don't think subject matters too much. It's a small decorative image inspired -- by my eye -- by Hummel. 1960s I'd think. Not of great value (unless sentimental.) But let's wait to see what others say.

Debora

10. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Frustrating indeed -- can't say we've ever seen those exact images before, but the style is instantly recognizable... just can't remember the artist. Not Berthe Hummel stuff (although there is a significant similarity), but 1940s-'50s greeting cards (as the 5 x 4.5" size would suggest) and/or children's book illustrator... For some reason (probably woefully wrong), we've got the idea that they're Swedish...

Jivvy likes this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

12. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

^ Definitively ruling out Hummel.

Jivvy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted