Vintage Chinese Rattan Food Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Alesia42, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi everyone!....This is todays Thrift purchase for $6.....I think its a woven Chinese Rattan/Bamboo food basket....at first i thought that it was made to look aged...but then I looked at the weave....and the way the handle is made with these cut pieces that fit perfectly into the slots underneath the curve of the handle...so I thought if it were recent and made to look old...there wouldn't be so much detail...but, I could be wrong....then there are the carvings of the fish down the side of the handles....then I thought it could be Japanese?.....the covered basket has 2 tiers....its approx. 9 in Ht x 7 in wth and is in great condition..I did google it...and there so many type of antique/vintage chines woven lunch baskets...most were round and some what larger.....a there were a few with a similar design....if someone could shed some light on the age and origin....that would be great...... rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_008.jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_007.jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_029 (1).jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_027.jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_028.jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_021.jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_023.jpg rsz_day_lilies_&_antique_chinese_food_basket_025.jpg rsz_tiers_of_vintage_chinese_basket_002.jpg rsz_tiers_of_vintage_chinese_basket_003.jpg

2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted