Vintage commercial security, how they advertised

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by fireblade274, Jun 20, 2022.

1. fireblade274

fireblade274 New Member

Hello,
    I have a client who bought a boat from me, im getting a decent commission, and I'm trying to get him a memorable gift.
    He works in the industrial/commercial security solutions industry, and i've been thinking some kind of advertisement from the 1800s or early 1900s that pertains SOMEHOW to his industry would be pretty cool..

I've been having trouble figuring out what exactly I should be searching for. How did businesses back then contract out security? Bodyguards, protection detail, mercenaries?
    was it really just word of mouth?

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

An antique Pinkerton's badge? You could have it framed in a shadow box.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

is the boat for work?
    if not.....buy him something for the boat....:happy:

don't remind him of work.....while he's fishing, banging,,,or just getting baked on his new boat !!!:inpain::inpain:..;)

4. fireblade274

fireblade274 New Member

If i cant find what im looking for ill get him something nice for the boat, but that feels too easy.. moreotherstuff, i just googled pinkerton and you may be onto something! looking more it to it.. detective agency may be a little off course but it looks like they offered protective services too.. looking into it!

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A case of champagne, to break against the bow (not.)

Debora

NewEngland likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Something to do with the Secret Service?

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This intro to the 1978 paper 'The Emergence and Transformation of Private Detective Industrial Policing in the United States, 1850-1860' will provide you with the information you want. But it's a nasty history. The purpose of commercial security groups was social control of workers during industrial capitalism. Not something to celebrate.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/29766033

Debora

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    NewEngland and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted