Vintage Crocheted Doily With Strawberries

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by kraftblue, Nov 13, 2014.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Are these strawberries or something else?

Kath

doily1.JPG doily2.JPG doily3.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would say yes based, on the color and shape in the closeup. Are the green strings attached center top like on a strawberry?

Some of the others are shaped more like carrots, but then they should be orange. :angelic:

Was it all balled up with you got it?

3. kraftblue

Here is the backside. This was in the bottom of a bag of doilies and other linens

Kath
    doily.JPG

4. Bakersgma

I've never crocheted, but my grandmother did it a lot. She made a lot of things with petaled flowers and in some cases made the flowers separately and sewed them or crocheted them on where they belonged in the design. At least that's my recollection.

Looks like the strawberries were constructed of triangles that were rolled to form the berries, which is why you see the round end on the underside and the diagonal lines on the fruit from the front. I assume the "leaves" are started at the shoulder and then some or all attach to the base?

I really can't think of any other fruit (or vegetable) that these could be.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I also think they look most like strawberries.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You can probably just use your fingers to work them in more strawberry-like shapes. It doesn't help at all, but this crocheted doily is one of the very few textile pieces I have ever sold. It didn't sell for much. (Went to Australia.)

[​IMG]

Of course it was all squashed flat when I got it, but it's the sort of thing that can be tweaked.

7. Bakersgma

Lovely, Bob! And if they had been made by my grandmother, they would have been starched to hold their shape. ;)

8. kraftblue

Thank you Bakers, Fig and More...that is an awesome doily!

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Definitely starched. I have a ton of this stuff that my mother and aunts made. They were always starched. This is gorgeous.

Draft saved Draft deleted