Vintage diningroom table, Baker Furniture brand ....& 6 chairs..

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by komokwa, May 11, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]My folks first house, grand dining room table...circa 1959....
    76 long..45 wide ..29 inches tall....., three x 18 inch leaves....full set of thick pads.
    bumps and dings commensurate with 55 years of use but not abuse....
    6 chairs....2 of which have arms......(thus the dings...) , once recovered seats...

Is there a name for it's design ? ( and/or the chairs..? )

zztable1.jpg zztable5.jpg zztable4.jpg zztable3.jpg zztable2.jpg zztable6.jpg zztable7.jpg

................Now...everyone sitting down........what's it worth ? ..............

I know none of you are in Montreal.....but any speculations, observations, determinations, consternation's....or equivocations .....are welcomed !!!

( ps....I've looked.....lots.....and can't find many this huge.....and what I have found is so all over the map......from $650.....to over $8000 US. ...asking price....so I'm resorting to asking for help ...& your varied opinions in an effort get a ballpark figure that I can work from !!!..)

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A lot of Baker is more traditional than this. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad. While Baker is always good, people who want it might be expecting something more traditional than this. That said, I think you would be in the 2K range for an asking price to start. I don't think you could realistically get much more than that without a high end shop and/or decorator clientele. You could always go down from there if you have to. Doubt I could get half that here in my Midwest location but you should be better able in Montreal.

komokwa likes this.
  3. komokwa

Thanks Brad.....funny thing...I thought this was as traditional as one could get....but that's what you get , I guess....when it's a set you've spent most of your life around ! :rolleyes::happy:

judy likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

FWIW, I agree with Brad on not traditional. Those chairs with the gilt rings scream MCM to me. The legs of the table look non-traditional also. The following website has chairs that look identical to yours but different fabric. The seller is calling them MCM Italian. They don't know the manufacturer, but bet they were by Baker also.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/265390438/gorgeous-set-of-6-mid-century-italian?ref=market

--- Susan

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love the chairs!

komokwa likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Baker made all kinds of things over the years but images of Chippendale and Duncan Phyfe mostly come to mind and were present in their line continuously. I had wealthy clients at one point looking for a quality Chippendale dining set (Table, buffet, and 8 chairs). At the time, I had access to the Chicago Merchandise Mart so had a look at the Baker show room for them. The quote was a bit over $28,000. Turns out, my clients were really not interested in a quality dining set when they heard the price. They had no idea :rolleyes:

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

Oh...Lady...Lady......oh Susan......those are them.......and that's the gold diamond fabric........you just threw me back 50 years....:wideyed::woot::eek::happy:.....remembering how things used to be......& to boot we just packed up the gold color tablecloths & matching napkins Mom used on that table......geeze...I think I'm gonna cry !!...seeing as how Dad ...wheelchair bound and nearly sightless....just ordered flowers for Mothers day.....! :bigtears::(:rolleyes:

That....and the asking price for the chairs !!!!!!

Thank you......wiping a tear from my cheek !! ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. komokwa

I'm not saying what Dad said he paid for the set....cuz he didn't....it was a gift from Moms folks.....and I didn't believe the price...! :inpain::jawdrop::jawdrop:

9. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Here is someone selling your exact table or almost exact on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/mid-century...384922?hash=item1c8447d71a:g:QyUAAOSw7GRZCmZi

Now your chairs are much nicer and more collectible than the chairs with that table among the MCM crowd right now, and MCM is a hot item atm. If you were to sell them, I'd maybe think about separating them because those chairs scream "Mad Men" and would be quite marketable.

The table is very nice as well, dont get me wrong, but those chairs look extra MCM special.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

well, thank you...

zzmcmchair.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted