Vintage doll question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lynnie, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I got this doll in a box lot at auction. She stands 8" tall and is made of composition with movable arms. My question--can anyone identify the maker? She seems to have been a very inexpensive doll--the feet and fingers are not delicately done. However, her clothing, which seems to be original, is just lovely--the stitching is tiny, with decorative stitching on her bonnet, and her undies are made of flannel with over-stitched seams. Any thoughts? dollbrondress1.jpg dollbrondress1.jpg dollbrowndress2.jpg dollbrowndress3.jpg dollbrowndress4.jpg

KingofThings and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

She looks familiar to me, maybe 1940's era? Have you undressed her to see if there are any markings on the back or back of the neck?

3. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I haven't, just because her clothing is sewn on. The forties sounds right, though. ll the other dolls were from that era.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought Laura Ingalls Wilder from little house on the prairie!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would be very doubtful her clothing and braid is original. Neither are in keeping with doll's age (which is more likely 1920s to 1940s.)

Debora

6. Lynnie

Lynnie Active Member

I had the same thought.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

SHE has one of the most charming faces I have EVER seen on a doll!!! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I’m in love! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just an FYI, that is machine stitching.
    Cute face on your doll!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, then, someone did a nice, neat, simple job stitching her little outfit!!!!!! :):)

bluumz and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I'd say 1930's era, she appears to be composition and by the 40's after the war PLASTIC was introduced to the market and 'hard plastic' dolls made their appearance. She was certainly a lower priced doll of her era, she is also VERY sweet .. her wig could be mohair too, her little well-made clothing is delightful. There ARE collectors of this type of dolly, she won't bring a great deal but her outfit is worth as much as her .. and she will be much loved in someones collection, .. Joy.

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Yes, the dolly could be celluloid Lynnie .. is she very light in weight or does she have some heft to her? Celluloid was around since the late 1880's .. a very early form of plastic and highly flammable. If she is very light in weight she would be made of celluloid .. with a bit of heft to her I'd say composition. Horse hair was also used for wigs back then ... Joy.

judy likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

15. Christmasjoy

I don't think so, the Nancy Ann dolls had more delicate features and limbs than this little doll, much slimmer legs .. I never saw a Nancy Ann with Big feet and ankles like Lynnie's doll has. The only way to find out is to undo the back top of her clothes .. if it is a Nancy Ann Story Book Doll it will be printed on her upper back. There is a small likeness though .. one would HAVE to undo a part of her clothing to find out the maker, Joy.

Figtree3 and Sandra like this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

My first thought upon seeing the doll was a Nancy Ann wannabe.

Nancy Ann's were firstly made of bisque, then plastic. I have a few. I think that they were always signed, but there's no mistaking that Lynnies doll is not a Nancy Ann.

The doll Lynnie has is not of the same quality, and she recognizes that it was an inexpensive doll.....but she is pretty darn cute.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Christmasjoy

Yes, she is cute !! .. :) .. Joy.

judy likes this.
  18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The doll is older than the clothing and braid in my opinion as well. Can you remove the hat?

19. pewter2

pewter2 Well-Known Member

hello lynnie....looks like a LENCI doll made in Turin Italy usually of painted felt or painted cloth faces..in production from 1920 onwards......has been dressed very recently hope this helps ...regards Hugh ....pewter2

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted