Featured Vintage Dressing Gown

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Shangas, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Purchased at a local charity shop for $10.00. Some of the piping was coming loose, so I sewed it back on. I washed it, dried it...and here are the photos. It's definitely of a very vintage style, I would estimate from the 1940s. The company that made it is still around, and dates from the early 1930s. It's a maroon or wine-red colour...

grown05.jpg grown06.jpg gown07.jpg
    Decorative piping around the hems and cuffs...

gown04.jpg gown03.jpg
    Body-shot. For reference, I'm 5'7", and this comes down to shin-level on me...

gown01.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Nice one, Shangas! And just in time for your winter!

pearlsnblume and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fun! Suits you. (Instead of piping, by way, think that would be considered braid.) And, you may be a tad off with dating. Men's wear lapels mimic tie widths and those are a bit narrow for the 1940s.

Debora

4. Shangas

How old do you think it is? 50s or 60s then?

Parts of the state have been getting sub-zero temperatures in recent days, so yes, definitely very good!!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum... Could be 1950s. A photograph of the label would help confirm dating (if you really want to bother.) Regardless of age, in excellent vintage condition and fits you perfectly. You'll enjoy.

Debora

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think late 50's early 60's.

I can see you sitting in a high backed chair, legs crossed, carpet slippers, pipe in mouth, whisky in hand ,reading a book before retiring for the night.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

i really like um, but boy do they itch

pearlsnblume, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Shangas

I was surprised to find that it fit me so well! It's very comfortable. Perfect shoulder width and sleeve-length.

I can accept the 50s as the date. I'm amazed that it's lasted as long as it has, quite honestly. Whoever owned it must have never worn it! Apart from a bit of stitching that needed to be done to reinforce certain areas, and a good wash, it didn't need anything at all (apart, perhaps, from some fabric softener...).

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think you scored! That bathrobe looks like Hef had it in the back of his closet.(LOL)

reader, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Love the color and the cord trim!
    Inquiring minds would like to see any/all labels. :)

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. Shangas

There's only two labels:

"SMARTEX" under the collar.

"WOOL 70%
    COTTON 30%"

Down one side.

"Smartex" is a local manufacturer of high-quality men's sleepwear. It's been manufacturing men's PJs, sleepwear, dressing gowns, etc, since the early 1930s. It's still around today. This is the company website:

https://www.smartex.net.au/shop/

This gown is actually my second dressing gown from SMARTEX. I have another one (blue, striped velour). I can alternate between one and the other when I get them washed.

Here's another photo...

gown08.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Pa was buying and wearing ones like that in the 50s and 60s. They were so well made, I think he still had one in the 90s! There's a menswear shop in outer London called Smartex, who go back to at least the fifties. Lovely old fashioned place.

13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

This Smartex robe has the same cord trim and is claiming 1950s from an experienced vintage clothing seller. However, it is pure wool. A wool blend dressing gown is likely more recent than this one.
    These are fantastic-looking robes, I wish I'd find one here in the USA!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Figtree3 and Jivvy like this.
  14. Shangas

What's stopping you? I'm sure there's plenty of companies that still make them. Although in my experience, modern styles are rather...plain.

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted