Vintage Eagle Weather Vane... good buy?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Jun 12, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Found this for sale locally when posting some of my stuff. Owner wants $60 which seems like a great deal if you’re in the market for a well made weather vane. Question is does it have much value as an antique? Owner replied that it was pre WWII. Not sure if that’s accurate or if it is if it gives it enough value to bother with? I’m short on space so bigger purchases need to be a dang good buy for me. In this case I would have to sell it quickly or throw it on my parents roof. Does this weathervane have some value as more than a functional item?

[​IMG]

Only photo available unfortunately.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Slightly confused how does it turn with the wind. The eagle and arrow look really oxidized with the stem. Roof holder does not look right either.
    greg

J Dagger likes this.
  3. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

looks similar to one we got in the 90's for our house, it was new at the time.:cigar::cigar::cigar:

KikoBlueEyes and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

I was definitely very skeptical about the age. I’m not good a dating cast iron yet but the seam on the bars the letters are attached to doesn’t look right. Like the above user mentioned the roof bracket doesn’t look old either. Really none of it seemed period to me. Still seems like a nice weather vane for the money but glad I didn’t run and buy it as being from before the 40’s.

Christmasjoy, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. J Dagger

It does seem like the outer tube spins around the inner pole. Could be oxidized though to the point it doesn’t.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd be skeptical. Looks like it was designed by someone who'd never seen an eagle. (Really, isn't that a parrot with oversized wings?) And the wear appears to be applied.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Lol. Oversized parrot!!!! I don’t think I will be buying it. More wanted to confirm my instinct that it didn’t look right.

He just replied to me asking aim if he was sure it was pre-WWII by saying: “his uncles told him it had been up on the barn as long as they could remember and they were in their 80’s”. He then said he was taking it off the site and having it checked by a professional tomorrow. Then sent another message saying “it appears from some marks and some research could be much older than I thought”

He said he would let me know what he found out. I’ll ask him what marks it has.

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, if it's antique, $60 is too inexpensive and, if it's not, $60 is too expensive. I think theseadays it's harder to find a genuine weather vane then it is a reproduction.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Fid and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. J Dagger

I would imagine so. Definitely too inexpensive for one as old as he claims. Which is why it grabbed my attention initially. Thought it could be a good buy! Then looked closer and thought it didn’t look right for for supposedly being antique.

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't like the looks of this for being truly old. could be 50 years old or more but that is not old in the world of antique weathervanes.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Kind looks like a 'white metal' hawk?????? And doesn't look like it would/will turn very freely if at all.....JMHO......

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't like the looks of it....

Christmasjoy likes this.