Vintage fabric by 'Pinewood Fabrics'

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Batman_2000, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Found in the linen basket of my parents home - three large pieces of this lovely fabric. The photos have a warm cast to them that the fabric doesn't have... it's a wonderful grey/brown printed with a black and white motif. I did a brief google search and it seems to be 1950s? It's in pristine condition, having been kept out of the light all these years. Any advice on what to do with it? I love it (it would make great curtains or cushions) but I'd hate to ruin it!

cloth1.jpg

cloth2.JPG

The photos don't show it, but the pattern is called 'rhythm' according to the label.

KingofThings and wenna like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

MCM without a shred of doubt. If all else fails you can always Ebay it; people are always looking for vintage fabrics, especially cottons.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That is FABULOUS. Do please contact the V&A textiles department, I think they'd love to see it. Late 50s from that beatnik clothing. If you frame it, make sure the margin is visible.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen similar pieces put on canvas stretchers and hung, if you're so inclined.

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ooooooh! Or a room divider or old-fashioned dressing screen!

8. Batman_2000

Thanks everyone! I'm inclined to frame (or stretch) a piece but keep the rest as it is for now. There are three lengths - I haven't measured it yet, but it's all intact. Googling MCM took me to auction sites and the price surprised me! For small pieces too! Good idea to contact the V&A, just out of interest, and see what their thoughts might be. It's great quality fabric, has quite a weight to it. Thanks again :).

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's probably by a serious designer. I'm not sure if Robin Day ever designed for them, but it has the look. There's a couple of others as well, but I've lost the names. You might also contact Kerry Taylor Auctions.

Batman_2000 and KingofThings like this.
  10. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

Ooooh! The temptation to make a really funky suit!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Like Wow Man!

Jen and George and Batman_2000 like this.
  12. Batman_2000

Thanks again, everyone. It would be great to know who the designer was... the more I google 50s fabrics, the more significant it looks. OwnedbyBear, thanks for the pointer towards Kerry Taylor Auctions. Carolinej, I'm thinking ultra wide trousers, or a 50s style dress! Will let you know if I find out more :).

KingofThings and Carolinej like this.
  13. Carolinej

Carolinej Member

Oh yes. A dress would be lovely!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think it would sell like hot cakes.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted