Vintage fur coat?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Abbie Coleman, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Abbie Coleman

Abbie Coleman New Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    reader and Houseful like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

36 will be the size. Sheepskin by the look of it, 1970s. Shearling collar. I'd wear that, it's super.

Abbie Coleman, Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree with OBB. Cool coat. Check inside the pockets also for tags. Looks like it’s all shearling-is it? If you’re selling it check all the seams and make sure that it isn’t dried out or splitting anywhere. Also look at it carefully to see if it is a solid shearling or suede lined in shearling which is less preferable. It looks like it’s probably a full skin which is good. You can note the stitched details, give good measurements and you’re good to go with a Vintage 70s Tan Sheepskin Belted Shearling Coat Small 36

Abbie Coleman and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Or have it carefully cleaned and wear it. ;)

Abbie Coleman likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Abbie. I'm with the others.
    If it fits you, wear it, it looks nice and warm, and second hand coats like this are fashionable again.

6. Abbie Coleman

Abbie Coleman New Member

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for those horrible little carpet moths, they love shearlings.
    Freeze the coat for a day if you have room in your freezer, that'll get 'em.:rage:

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

now yer doing it right.....!
    a dry cleaner who does leather will work.......

9. Ownedbybear

Absolutely a decent professional cleaner who knows sheepskin. It's not cheap - I[ve my mother's sixties coat and it's at least forty quid. But well worth it.It'll last a lifetime.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  10. Abbie Coleman

Abbie Coleman New Member

Notes taken, thank you! I wish it was my kind of thing but it’s really not. I’m sure it would have been my Grans pride and joy back in the day but I never saw her wear it (and I’m in my 30’s!) it’s too fabulous to be kept locked away so I am going to put it up for sale. What’s a realistic price for the coat? A percentage of the money will go Marie Curie who cared for my Gran and MIND who support mental health as her son, my uncle, struggled after his mum passed and sadly, it was the final straw for him.

If I get no takers for the coat, how can I safely store it away for a few years? Will it be okay in a plastic box up in the loft? I’ve only got a small cottage and it takes up half of my coat hanging space!
    Thanks again :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Never plastic, it can sweat. A clean cardboard box, and wrap the coat in an old towel. If the loft is dry it won't come to harm.

I'd think 30 to 50 quid? That allows for the cost of the buyer having it cleaned if they wish to. You could, if you like and once we're able to, donate it to a Marie Curie charity shop?

If you do sell it online, put as many measurements as you can accurately manage. Sleeve length, armhole depth, armpit to armpit, as well as usual ones.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have my grandfathers tweed over coat from the 19 teens. I love it, had it repaired several times. It will never go out of style.
    greg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I've a very vintage oiled tweed Austrian coat. It looks brand new. Withstands blizzards!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted