Featured Vintage Glass bead necklace - 52" long

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother's oldest sister wore this type of long necklace in the 20s. I used to do beadwork so I collected a lot of old bead necklaces.This one needs to be restrung because it broke in half. I always loved it and did wear it back in the 60s looped twice so it didn't hang down to my knees! Each of the red beads is about 3/4" long

IMG_9906.jpg IMG_9907.jpg

BoudiccaJones, judy, Houseful and 5 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I used to were 1920s necklaces back in the 60s. And yes double strand as they are opera length.

Love yours. Would have worn that too.

judy, Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful depth of colour, Bev.
    I used to wear my great-grandmother's long French jet (glass) necklace double strand until it broke. It is still waiting for me to fix it, poor thing. Like yours it is hand-knotted, so I keep putting it off. Worth it though, it is part of a set with a shorter necklace, brooch, bracelet, an ornamental haircomb and hairpins.

Bronwen, BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's not a hard job. Tedious, but not hard.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I know, I usually shove a pin in the beadhole and knot around that so the knot can be tightened against the bead. But the whole necklace has to be redone, the thread is 19th century and wearing away, and there are a few badly chipped beads. Handknotting roughly 2 metres of bead neclace is not something I look forward to. But it will be worth it. Some day.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

When I was doing it regularly, I found knotting restful, almost meditative. I'm the only person I know who feels this way.

7. Any Jewelry

I used to love polishing silver for the same reason. My muscles don't agree with me anymore....

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Now that I find tedious. Maybe if you could do it the way they used to, with your thumbs.

9. Any Jewelry

Thumbs have muscles as well.:D I just do small parts at a time, at times when my muscles don't object. Other times the silver just has to wait. I must say, silver is very patient.:)

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted