Vintage gold and white gold ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by nirelj, Feb 2, 2023.

1. nirelj

nirelj Member

Hello,

I have this vintage ring, that is supposed to be made from combination of gold and white gold (have two stamps, seems like both are saying 585).On top there are small jewels/stones.They are just little sparkly, and on day light they seem to be transparent, so first I thought they might be small raw uncut diamonds.
    But when taken pictures, actual color of those jewels seem to be light green, yellowish, and light orange (think they are 3 kind of them, different colors).You can see pictures below showing this.
    Would like to know if anyone might have idea, based on pictures, what kind of jewels those might be?
    Also, any thoughts and comments about ring would be appreciated.
    Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-26-38-295_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-26-46-143_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-26-29-030_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  2. nirelj

nirelj Member

Here you can see close-up of jewels on top. Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-30-56-942_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-30-34-344_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-31-56-101_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-31-51-130_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Born2it, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  3. nirelj

nirelj Member

Here you can see stamps, and on second picture you can see inside part of ring.That part is kinda orangy color, I don't know if that should be red flag about ring beeing authentic gold (that redish color), or that could be normal because of oxydation and dirt? Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-31-12-888_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_2023-02-02-19-48-12-125_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Dessert58, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very interesting ring.......
    I'll let better minds than mine try to place it !

It's sassy !!!:happy::happy:

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. I think that's a nice replica of an older ring - mediaeval in style.

6. nirelj

nirelj Member

Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

You think it might be replica, it look quite old and vintage?

Do you have any thoughts about gemstones/jewels on top, based on their color and pictures, do you have any idea which gemstones might be?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. komokwa

they are too small and sunken in the ring to see clearly....
    can u buy a gem tester......or have an honest jeweller nearby...

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

The 585 marks mean it's not that old, maybe mid 20th onwards. Stones are old cuts. Might be tiny coloured diamonds, but they need testing.

KSW, Dessert58, terry5732 and 2 others like this.
  9. nirelj

nirelj Member

They are small indeed, but thought someone might have idea what they might be based on color description (light green, light orange and yellowish).I will try to take better pictures tomorrow on day light.
    Don't think buying gem tester is an option, they must be expensive.

Do you mind if I ask, do you also think it might be replica, based on pictures?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  10. Ownedbybear

I do think it's a replica, based on the inside look and the marks. A genuinely old one would not have 585.

KSW, Dessert58, mirana and 2 others like this.
  11. nirelj

nirelj Member

Thank you again for another reply!
    I do think stones look like old cut, like you said there.
    Didn't know diamonds could be redish/orange and green, thought these would be some other gemstones, based on color.
    But if test would show these were colored diamonds, with old cut, would they be worth something, considering it is lod cut, and that they are quite small?

KSW likes this.
  12. nirelj

nirelj Member

Oh ok, that make sense.

Would you think reddish/orange color of inside of ring would be "red flag" showing ring is not made from real gold, or that "discoloration" is something that is normal thing (shouldnt it be yellow like outside part)?

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Although diamonds come in many colours, the stones could also be zircons.
    Contrary to what many people think, gold can oxidise a bit due to the silver or copper content. If you polish it, it will probably go back to its original yelow gold colour.

Gold can also discolour due to too high temperatures during manufacture. I don't think that is the case with your ring though.

Dessert58, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  14. komokwa

the ring does have value, but not from the stones....which even if gems are too small to consider.....except for the beauty...

gem testers ...on quality , can be very reasonable....most joulies here have em..

15. nirelj

nirelj Member

Thank you for clarifying!

Considering that ring is relatively old (it's not novelty), and that is made from gold, I thought it is better chance stones are some kind of gemstones (don't know wich), rather than zircons.

Would you personally think stones in ring like this have more chance to be gemstones (in that case question would be which gemstones), or they have more chance to be zircons?

Bronwen likes this.
  16. komokwa

gotta test em.......;):happy::happy:

Bronwen and nirelj like this.
  17. nirelj

nirelj Member

Oh ok, I see.

I thought gems (especially if they are diamonds) would add some value to ring itself, even considering they r quite small.

Do you mind if I ask, would you be able to put put some estimated price for ring like this (roughly), if you have more experience with jewelry and rings?

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Zircons are some kind of gemstone.:) They were first mentioned in an Ancient Greek study of the natural world. I don't think your ring is that old.;)

I think your stones are more likely to be zircons than diamonds.
    Not really. Besides, the cut on these stones is not very sought after. Their function is to look pretty.

KSW, Dessert58, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  19. nirelj

nirelj Member

Oh wow, didn't know zircons are that old!

Thought they are more of a novelty thing.

Thank you for all info!

20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

AJ nipped in ahead of me, but I was going to say, natural zircon & man made cubic zirconia are not the same thing. Real zircon is quite desirable: quite hard; lots of flash; comes in many colors.

My thought, though, is that they are diamond chips as you first thought & that the appearance of color is discoloration of the metal underneath them.

KSW, Dessert58, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted