Featured Vintage gold earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by dcfirebottle, Nov 5, 2019.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

I inherited this set thirty years ago. I figured it's probably older than that just looking at the style. Thought I'd ask the pro's around here. Only mark is 14k. They have the screw in type of clasp. Sorry about only one picture but I had trouble getting clear shots. Anyone want to take an 20191105_062757.jpg educated guess at their age? Appreciate all comments

KSW, Any Jewelry, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'd date them to 1880s minus a few years maybe.
    Very nice.

KSW, ulilwitch, dcfirebottle and 2 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Can you show a picture of the back. They may have had their wires changed to posts.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They look like screwbacks from here. I wouldn't be photographing them; I'd be too busy WEARING those. They look like 1880s converted to screwbacks in the 1930s, when no one had holes. (I still don't, hence the drool.)

kyratango, KSW, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  5. dcfirebottle

Could be right. Sorry about the pic. My gopro has trouble with close up's. I'm glad though that some people like them. I inherited quite a bit of antique and vintage fine jewelry. My wife and daughters have pretty much already taken what they want but there are a few pieces (like this set) that will probably be sold. I just figured I should probably know a little about them before I try and sell them. Thank you for your input.

GOPR0595.JPG

6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and buy a $5 gram scale on eBay. These should definitely be sold as jewelry and not for their metal value. Good to weigh them and understand what their melt value is just to ensure you don’t take any less than that though.

judy, kyratango, dcfirebottle and 6 others like this.
  7. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

They are just beautiful!

judy, kyratango, dcfirebottle and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Really beautiful, dc, and I agree they have much more value as they are. The screwbacks could be original, they were introduced in the 1890s.

dcfirebottle, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I know nothing about jewelry so I am glad I stopped into this thread and am wowed by the experts here.

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. J Dagger

Btw it’s impossible to tell from the photos but they appear like they may be heavy. Much heavier than the average earrings. Do they have a good bit of weight? I wouldn’t be surprised if they are 4-5g if not potentially a decent amount more per earring. With 14k being around $30/g right now there could be $250-300 worth of gold there or more. I would be super curious to know if you do end up getting a scale. Of course it could be super thin and I could be way off. Looks can be deceiving but they do appear to have some weight.

dcfirebottle and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. dcfirebottle

You inquired about the weight and I thought I'd get back to you about it. They weigh 7 grams, which is (I'd say), pretty heavy for these little earrings. The dangle pieces are hollow so the weight comes from the main molded piece.

J Dagger likes this.
  12. J Dagger

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I usually can guess closer but still a very nice weight for earrings! I hope you do well on your sale!

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are an easy $150 in metal alone. I'd be careful about selling them.

Draft saved Draft deleted