Vintage Handpainted Dutch Girl & Windmill Porcelain Platter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ct0116, Apr 6, 2022.

1. ct0116

ct0116 Member

So, my mom got this platter at an auction a while back, and she has no clue where it's from, how old it is, or what it's worth. We've tried googling and image searching it but to no avail. The back has 778 9 painted on it, and it has a gold trim. I believe it's hand painted and possibly Dutch or at least of a Dutch scene. Any information would be greatly appreciated! IMG_6441-min.JPG IMG_6445-min.JPG IMG_6443-min.JPG IMG_6442-min(1).JPG IMG_6444-min.JPG IMG_6446-min(1).JPG IMG_6447-min.JPG

LauraGarnet02 and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"Airbrushing" on the rim is typical 30s-40s style. The rest of the decoration is applied decals not handpainted.

LauraGarnet02, Houseful and sabre123 like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OK, @Bakersgma I'm beflummoxed here.....if the scenes are decals, and I DON'T DOUBT what you're saying!....what about the shading around the rest of the front of the plate? How is that applied, as it appears to be well and evenly 'toned'.......I just never really thought about it before......and how do they keep it from being ruined if the plate isn't just decorative??? Thanks!!!! Obviously there's always much to learn here!!!!!!:happy::happy::hilarious::):):D

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The shading is the air brushing

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's worth what u paid for it......
    until you can find someone to give u more..!!

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That may well be British.

7. ct0116

ct0116 Member

@Bakersgma Oh, I didn't realize it was decals and not hand painted. Thank you so much for the information, though!

Draft saved Draft deleted