Featured Vintage hat --what era?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Although a bit large for this model, seems like the hat design is actually designed to go over the eyes in fit. Not sure if it Ebay-worthy or not, but some by this maker (Velda) are collected.

Is there a name for this type of hat? Era? Any keywords? Is there a better name than "faux fur" for the black material on top and inside? General thoughts?

hat3.jpg hat5.jpg hat6.jpg hat66.jpg hat4.jpg

Figtree3, pearlsnblume, Joan and 2 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like it and I would wear it, and "faux fur" is correct, especially for a hat.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lampshade style....

pearlsnblume, judy, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  4. antidiem

Also, I wear a size "7" hat in U.S., no idea what country a "22" would be from?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1960s-ish. Looks like a 7th Avenue label.

Debora

pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the responses. :)

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

22" is size in inches. According to internet, equivalent of a 7.

Debora

pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

:rolleyes: dang, now I like it even more! :smuggrin:

pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I've purchased quite a few vintage hats, and yours looks like 1960s-70s brushed fur felt (the black part), which was made of animal fur. Some fur felt has a nap or is somewhat shaggy on one side, which is usually on the outside of a hat, but yours appears to be on the under side of the brim. If you search the following on ebay you'll see another example: "Bullocks Lakewood Vintage Fedora Ladies Hat Brushed Fur Felt Teal Sovereign."

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I just did a quick search and there were some styled hats on pinterest and Ruby Lane similar to your hat style. They felt it was 60's to accommodate larger hairstyles during that era. They called it a planter hat, a bucket hat etc.
    Anyway, that is so pretty. Good luck with it.

Lucille.b likes this.
  14. antidiem

I saw some were referred to as: "mushroom or lampshade" hats too..

Well as pretty as it is, I doubt I need a hat that covers my eyes. My senses are going fast enough as it is! ;) :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. antidiem

@Joan , thank you so much for this info, I didn't realize the "faux fur look" could actually even be real animal fur. I don't know that this is always the case, however, and have owned some fake fur hats! ;)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted