Vintage Inlayed Dresser I just Bought

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ray Margarit, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Ray Margarit

Ray Margarit New Member

Can anyone tell me what era this is from or whether it Chinese, Japanese or other

a1.jpg a2.jpg

KSW and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think thats called "japanned " .Is that brass or gold painted trim ? We'd really need to see the joinery and back to guess age. Just a wild guess ,but Im thinking maybe 20s-30s.

KSW likes this.
  3. Ray Margarit

Ray Margarit New Member

Thank you for your input Johnny, Now that you had mentioned Japanned, my google searches are getting close to what I have. It's gold painted trim. When I get to the storage unit I will take pics of the hinges and back as well as legs.

Ray

KSW likes this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Isn't *japanned* a hard black varnish?

PortableTreasures and KSW like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@BoudiccaJones from Wikipedia:

Japanning is most often a heavy black "lacquer", almost like enamel paint. Black is common and japanning is often assumed to be synonymous with black japanning. The European technique uses varnishes that have a resin base, similar to shellac, applied in heat-dried layers which are then polished, to give a smooth glossy finish. It can also come in reds, greens and blues.

6. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I thought so, have seen it in other colours but usually it means a black varnish

KSW likes this.
  7. Ray Margarit

Ray Margarit New Member

BTW the bottom is completely flat (no legs)

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not Japanned but Chinoiserie. Western made but with Asian motifs. Pics are not sufficient to determine age but think probably second quarter of the 20th century. Are you sure it is inlaid?

Draft saved Draft deleted