Featured Vintage Japanese/Chinese Pottery/Ceramic Bowl Art Nouveau Women Heads Inside Rim

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by antiquelover69, Nov 30, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

SAM_4850.JPG SAM_4852.JPG I bought out a lot of old Japanese pottery/ceramic from a lady and she didn't have any information on piece so I'm hoping someone can help,very beautiful piece,inside is an alae blue bottom sides inside edge are lined with art nouveau women headsmeasure 9" across top and 5" tall,hope somebody can help. SAM_4848.JPG SAM_4850.JPG SAM_4844.JPG

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's creepy !!!!

3. antiquelover69

Lol,I think it's a beautiful piece,

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

and that's why we have a community here, for open discussion..and a varied assortment of tastes and opinions.
    Still...one of those gals is staring at me !!! :eek::eek:

5. antiquelover69

6. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

hmm..i don't think this is an asian style pottery,imho :angelic:

Bakersgma, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I like it too, the surprise of those little faces, and the glaze 'puddle'.
    I'm with S Wolf, it doesn't strike me as Japanese or Chinese. I'd say Western art pottery.
    Just ignore her and she'll lose interest.:playful:

8. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Personally I think it’s very interesting and beautiful, however, I get the feeling that should I have my next meal out of it, it might be my last as it adds my spiritual face to the rim. :nailbiting:

5FADAA26-C151-447E-8550-5954B849F5D9.jpeg

judy, Jivvy, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I saw pottery in Puerto Rico that was very similar. This is one of the first pieces of studio art pottery that I ever bought and is still a favorite treasure. This was sometime in the early 1980's and back then you could hold these types of item in your lap on the airplane. Over the years I've only had to repair one swan. The finish on mine is a bit different but I remember seeing pieces finished very much like yours.
    Don

IMG_20181130_163624862.jpg IMG_20181130_163632242.jpg

10. antiquelover69

Yes it does have similar design.I was told at one time might be "Akiko Hirai".

judy likes this.
  11. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

This thing will haunt my nightmares.

komokwa likes this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's just me, but the heads have nothing to do with Art Nouveau. They are just women's heads made with "spaghetti" hair. There is no Art Nouveau styling to the hair or the faces.

Art pottery by a contemporary potter.

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

After looking at her work, I can see similarities. Have you tried to e-mail her?

14. antiquelover69

I haven't but was thinking about emailing her.

judy and i need help like this.
  15. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy likes this.
  17. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It does look exactly the same.... That post is four years old, so I never thought about it.

judy and i need help like this.
  18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  19. antiquelover69

Yes it's the same,as I stated before I've been on 3 other forum and didn't really get an answer.So I was on google and found this site,I joined to put items on here in hope of finding some information.

20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

You mean to say you weren't expecting the flippery from the members of this forum. I've noticed it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted