Featured Vintage Japanese Kutani Porcelain Charger

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Thrifster, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

This is a vintage Japanese porcelain charger I bought from the thrift store awhile ago. It measures about 10" in diameter and is heavy. I researched for a long time and the only thing I can come up with is that the marks indicate it's a Kutani charger or possibly a Kutani Miyama charger from maybe early to mid 1900's?

Does anyone know what the marks say and how old it is or period it's from or anything else? Thanks in advance for any info.
    HPIM1499.JPG HPIM1500.JPG HPIM1502.JPG HPIM1503.JPG

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes there is the character for kutani in the cartouche. Did you check kurani marks at gotheborg.com?

judy, anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  3. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

Thanks for the url kentworld. I did check there and I think that's where I found it was Kutani. I just rechecked there but couldn't find any other info.

judy likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Good. I, for one, like it very much as I’m partial to birds. It has an aesthetic quality to it, but as there are holes in the rim for hanging, I would think 20th c.

5. vintagefox

vintagefox Member

I can read "kutani" from top right down, and "choju" from left top down.
    I'm guessing it may be related to Choju-Do in Kanazawa. Choju-Do is not a name of an artist. Instead, it seems to be a central shop / gallery of all Kutani potteries made by various artist in Kanazawa. Choju-Do has history of 120 years. If your plate was made for Choju-Do, it can be up to 120 years old.

"Choju" means "longevity" in Japanese. It is an unlikely name for a family name, but a much more preferred name for a business.

So far, I have not seen Choju-Do logos on Internet. This is just my guess.

Best luck,

judy and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted