Featured Vintage Kenneth Lane Question

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Diggummup, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

What would you call this pendant, a type of pod I assume? Also, do you think it dates to the 1960's.

IMG_7876 (1280x1124).jpg IMG_7870 (1280x709).jpg IMG_7874 (1280x786).jpg IMG_7872 (1280x928).jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8E80E91B-7634-4C11-A002-0E8A846EE260.jpeg Just a guess, could it be a lotus?

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Diggummup
    I think your piece is supposed to represent the Peach.

I believe it is meant to represent longevity.

Since it is a Lane piece, I imagine it is resin of some sort.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fyi, the length of the chain or cord is really important in dating necklaces. In the future, you might want to post a photograph of the full necklace. That said, I think your dating might be a little early. In the 1970s, the silhouette became very long and lean. Woman layered small, delicate necklaces. Think yours may date to that period (or later.)

Debra

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Yes, or maybe plum. Fruit anyway, not a pod.

judy, Diggummup, James Conrad and 3 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Plum, I think. Peaches are often shown in groups of three.

judy, Diggummup, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1. 1960's - K.J.L. with dots
    2. 1960's - KENNETH © LANE, with a big ©
    3. 1970's - KJL without dots
    4. 1970's - KENNETH © LANE, with very small ©
    5. 1980's - K.J.L.© with dots
    6. 1980's - K.J.L.® with dots
    7. 1980's - KENNETH©LANE, © is centered
    8. KJL no dots. Avon by Kenneth Jay Lane produced after 2001.
    9. ©KJL no dots. Kenneth Jay Lane for QVC, 1991-2000.
    10. KENNETH©LANE with © on the same line as LANE. 1990 to now.

Peach gets my vote

judy, reader, Diggummup and 5 others like this.
  8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

LOL, Plum! Peach! Pod! women wear weird stuff, tell me i'm wrong!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A lot of it designed by men, so....

Figtree3, judy, Diggummup and 6 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Including painful high heels and undergarments. :rage:

reader, judy, Diggummup and 3 others like this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have a Walter Lampl brooch in sterling with an amethyst carved as a plum (which looks similar to this) & it is very pretty. On the peach/plum question, what tilts me toward plum is that I am not seeing the defined cleft typical of a peach.

judy, scoutshouse, Diggummup and 2 others like this.
  12. Diggummup

Diggummup Well-Known Member

Yes it is a plastic resin of some type.

I mentioned in my original post that the necklace was married to it, therefore is not original. I added the KJL necklace. It dates between '91-'00.
    IMG_7880 (1280x721).jpg

Thanks. My referenced site contradicts your ebay guide photo which is why I mentioned the age. I'm gonna have to disagree with luxluv61 on this mark. There seems to be some discrepancy with this particular mark. Also you will find many other similar KJL pieces (material and color) dating to the 60's-70's time period. Besides your image, I see it listed on Illusionjewels as "probably" 1990's or later, as if they aren't sure. However, I also see at least two other sites that list it as an older mark.

https://worldeccentricitycharm.com/blogs/news/kenneth-jay-lane-jewelry (scroll to bottom)

and...

http://www.antiquingonline.com/Designers/KennethJLane.htm

• Signatures:
    • K.J.L. - 1962 to 1970's, first mark used (no copyright symbol), mark used in other stores in cities that also had a Saks
    • KENNETH LANE - 1960's to 1970's, earliest mark for pieces sold exclusively at Saks Fifth Avenue
    • KENNETH © LANE - another early mark for pieces sold exclusively at Saks Fifth Avenue. The © symbol was dead center in the logo
    • KENNETH © LANE - another early mark with the © symbol moved to the bottom preceding LANE on the logo
    • K.J.L. for AVON or KENNETH LANE for AVON - 1980's to 2004. The jewelry from the 1980's and 1990's are all signed K.J.L. for Avon. Some of the most recent K.J.L. for Avon is not signed K.J.L. for Avon, but simply KJL. Only the box that the jewelry came in has the Avon name and address on it. It would be wise to keep the boxes for authenticity.
    • KENNETH JAY LANE or KENNETH LANE - 1980's to 1990's, used in his own franchise stores
    • K.J.L. - 1980's to 1990's
    • ©KJL - mark used for QVC, no periods with the copyright mark preceding the "K"

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I have no real argument on the date, @Diggummup

But I noticed the illustration and the list took care to specific the copyright stamp size and location on each logo. That gets points with me.

The logo on the volunteer clasp includes a copyright stamp, but the reference doesn't.

The bottom list also specifies the earlier Kenneth Lane's copyright stamp, then it shows up chronologically later with no mention of stamp.

KENNETH JAY LANE or KENNETH LANE - 1980's to 1990's, used in his own franchise stores.

I really don't know for sure which reference is perfectly accurate.

BTW, I love KJL, or K.J. L - regardless of mark

judy and Diggummup like this.
  14. Hottiekim333

Hottiekim333 New Member

I think I may have Kenneth Jay lanes original handmade stage prototypes? But because they are so rare I cannot find any information on them:(
    I have removed your link, please post photos of work in question.
    Here’s instructions on uploading photos.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/making-a-post-and-uploading-pictures.16038/
    promoting items is not allowed, per the rules. Please post your photos and questions separately.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted