Vintage knife Wavey Blade

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by antiquelover69, Apr 5, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

This is a storage find. I don't see a name or company.measure 9 1/2" with blade.Blade has what appear to be wavey.Not sure what handle is,maybe bone ju SAM_0850.JPG SAM_0853.JPG SAM_0856.JPG SAM_0858.JPG st want to know what type of knife or who is the maker.

judy likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. antiquelover69

Thank you!!

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. antiquelover69

judy and komokwa like this.
  6. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

7. komokwa

What is a Damascus blade?

Damascus knives are knives made from Damascus steel. It is the technique used to make the steel that marks them as 'Damascus' rather than any other part of the knife design. Damascus knives can be identified by the wavy, mottled pattern than runs through the blade.

but.............

However, some manufacturers fake pattern welding by applying acid etching or laser etching to carbon steel or stainless steel blades. These are considered fake damascus steel blades, as they are primarily made with the intention of aesthetically imprinting Damascus looking patterns on cheaper blades.

any other questions?

8. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

@komokwa - if it were true damascus steel, wouldn't the pattern be visible on the edges, and the scalloped parts of the blade, the same way the rings of a tree run all through the wood. Would one expect the steel pattern to be three dimensional in the same way?

9. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

^^^^

That's what I'm thinking??

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'd expect so; but a faked Damascus would be only on the sides of the blade, not the edges; unless Komo thinks differently. And on this, I don't see any of the pattern on the edges.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The pattern is there,you can't see it because that portion of the blade was not acid etched and is polished. Knife smith Bill Moran coined the word Damascus steel for patterned welded steel in the early 1970's.

12. komokwa