Featured Vintage lace

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Just Em, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Just Em

Just Em Member

Hi all,

I rework and restore vintage fabrics but on this occasion I have something that was not as it seemed.

Its a vintage wedding dress with a 22inch waist and extraordinary. It is stunning!

Any help would be wonderful as I hate to see it put away unloved.

Thank you

Just Em

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi again Just Em.:) It is a lovely dress, it looks like good quality machine lace to me. What would you like to ask?
    As I said in the other thread, surely the waist would fit a young bride? It would have been too wide for me when I was in my 20s.

I will also tag our lace expert @Northern Lights Lodge again for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Just Em

Just Em Member

Most of the brides I cater for are a little more rounded and taller than this dress so I'll need to modify it (Godet or panels) but I wanted to check it wasn't extraordinary before I do this.

:happy:

4. Any Jewelry

I don't think an alteration is a problem in this case, but let's wait for some other voices.
    Do you want to use lace godets?

5. Just Em

Just Em Member

No a steady hand and a good overlocker!

LauraGarnet02, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. acvintage

acvintage Member

This looks like Alencon lace. Rare to find an old wedding dress made of this lace and in such good condition. It's lovely. (But definitely wait for someone more knowledgeable to confirm or disagree. Like @Northern Lights Lodge)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi... Just stepped in the door from 6 days on the road/ visit to daughters!
    What a beauty!
    Yes, it does seem to be in great shape! It looks circa 1950's to me. Is it lined? Yes, it does look typical of a lace they may have named Alencon.
    I'm uncertain as to what you want to do with it? Care for it? Alter it? Wash it? Store it? Sell it???

Let me know how I might further assist you...
    Sincerely, Leslie

8. Just Em

Just Em Member

Hi Leslie,

It's so lovely that we are all getting back to our normal lives again after covid.

The dress us lovely. I just wanted to know that it wasnt something very rare before I start modifying it into a current wedding dress. It's so different to the typical 50/60s/70s lace I normally work with.

It has a satin dress underneath which is good quality too and to be fair I could make another dress with.

Needs a good clean and some minor repair but its so lovely I want to give it a new home rather than left in the loft or used as crafting.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thank you Emma

9. Northern Lights Lodge

Hi Emma,

I think it would probably be ok to alter into a "current" style dress. It is not handmade lace. We did that quite often with "mom's" wedding gown when I was working at the Bridal Salon. Of course, the "best" way to alter it and still keep a vintage value to some degree is the adage: "don't do anything that you can't reverse again".

First step, of course, would be to see how it washes / cleans up. NO bleach! I'd either ask if a dry cleaners is willing - which they "may" be as there don't seem to be beads or sequins. If you are going to wash yourself... I'd certainly hand wash and spread out the lace overlay part to dry rather than hang it.

Then the lace repair. If it is a large mend - you may want to back the area with fine tulle - even several layers - and use fine stitching with as close to the color thread as you can find. Trim off the tulle closely after stitching is complete.

That said; it is probably impossible to "remake" an older gown into something more current without cutting. You don't say whether or not you have some bride in mind for it - or whether it is updating for resale... but... yes, with that 22" waist; you'd probably have to add some side gussets or gores... and that would have to be either taken out of the train or the sleeves.

I can see that it would look darling with another neckline - although I like the "sweetheart" shape... spaghetti straps are so much more popular right now. It looks like if the sleeves were removed; that it would leave a wider 2" strap, which might be acceptable as well. Then, if you didn't need to use the sleeves for gussets you could then alter the sleeves to make (long or short) fingerless mitts with a "v" at the middle finger and a loop to slip over the finger.

I love the train... but if you were to shorten it to "floor length"... you may have enough to use for a matching cape, veil or removable peplum.

It is always a "bear" - but doing some light beadwork, sequins or sparkle would certainly dress it up a bit.

Would love to see your finished project! If you think I could answer any additional questions... feel free!

Cheerio,
    Leslie

Darkwing Manor and Just Em like this.
  10. Just Em

Just Em Member

Thanks lesley,

You've just disclosed most of my little tricks .

It's the end of the Season so ill be working on this little beauty to go up for sale next year so I'll give you a sneaky peak then.

The repair luckily is right on the hem and quite small so it may just come away but I'll definitely take your advice using fine tulle. I'd normally put a panel on the hem anyway to allow for dragging.

Thank you so much Emma

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Northern Lights Lodge

OOps... sorry to have disclosed! Sounds like you are an experienced seamstress then! :) I'd love to have a sneaky peak! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!
    Cheerio!
    Leslie

Just Em and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I had no idea it was a secret either. I am not a seamstress, just an amateur with some experience, but those were the things I was thinking of as well.

Just Em likes this.
  13. Just Em

Just Em Member

Lol

No secrets sometimes it just logic

Draft saved Draft deleted