Vintage lamps....info?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mattio, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Mattio

Mattio New Member

Hi all.
    I acquired these lamps at a yard sale last weekend and the elderly resident claimed that she had bought them over 50 years ago. She says that the shades are original and I could not find any markings or maker on the lamps themselves.
    Over all height of lamps is 36" to top of shade and the figure is about 19" tall.
    Does anyone have any info at all regarding these....what to look for? Age? Value? Etc??

Thanks very much

Matt

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They're Rococo era-inspired figures. 50ish years probably right.

Debora

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

There were a lot of these types of lamps made and there's a very limited market for them. Not worth much.

judy, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Mattio

Mattio New Member

That's great to know. Thank you
    I got the pair for 10 bucks so cannot complain.
    The lady I got them from said she paid 100 at he time. For the pair.

5. sabre123

$100 in 1969 (going off your estimate of 50 years) would be almost $700 in today's dollars.

judy likes this.
  6. Mattio

Mattio New Member

That's what I kind of figured however, I would think (50 years old or not), that if there are lots of these knock offs around then selling for anything even close to that would be a pipe dream.
    A $1200 VCR from the early 80's is worth essentially squat today.

Just thought maybe I had scored one of those yard sale treasures and needed special antique insurance Lol (I'm kidding on the insurance).

antidiem, sabre123 and judy like this.
  7. sabre123

Lol. For $10, it was worth a gamble. If you wanted to sell them, you could make a few bucks profit. But, shipping lamps like that would be a huge pain if you were to go to an online outlet. The packing time alone would eat way into your profits.

If you have an active local community for this type of item, some of the 'sell your stuff' apps or sites may not be a bad platform for you.

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Gorgeous pair, impressive size! :cat: I agree with Sabre above, a local sales method would be best so as not to have to ship. I think these will be popular on a site like Craigs list for local pickup only.

sabre123 likes this.
  9. Mattio

Mattio New Member

Oh for sure, it would cost a mint to ship these.

Actually my GF wanted them and I'm like "really?....why?....we don't need any other lamps....especially those ones"
    After that limited conversation... all I had to do was carry them to the car....defeated. Needless to say we have them now. Lol

dgbjwc, sabre123, judy and 1 other person like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think they're GREAT!!! :joyful::joyful: She's got a good eye! ;):confused:

sabre123 and judy like this.
  11. sabre123

My wife has done that type of thing with some stuff that I've purchased with the intention of selling. But she puts up with me...and my eccentricities, so it's all good.

dgbjwc and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted