Featured Vintage Marionettes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Amy Ginsburg, May 29, 2019.

1. Amy Ginsburg

Amy Ginsburg New Member

My parents traveled extensively while alive. My Dad recently passed and now I have a number of vintage marionettes that may or may not be antiques. I have no details about them nor can I find any resources to help me understand what they are, where they are, and who might enjoy them. I do not have the space for them. Rather than post pictures of all of them at once, I'll just start with Yang (supposedly named for the location where my parents bought him, but I don't know if that was a city, a province, etc). He is about 5 feet long and there is amazing detail to him. Partly wood and partly canvas, he's quite the monster to get from one place to another, completely filling the backseat of my Civic. He is showing his age and I'm not sure how to maintain him. If anybody has any ideas about how old he might be, where he might be from, his value, the type of audience that might be interested in him, I'd appreciate it. (And yes, he's hanging from a rolling garment rack since my apt. was not big on the idea of installing hooks in the ceiling that could accommodate this weight). I've one full body shot then one of his front half 20190206_221653(1).jpg 20190206_221614.jpg . His back half is equally ornate but the picture file is too large to attach. I'll try to take another picture and post it below. Thanks in advance!

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Amy. I can't help, but yours is definitely one of the most interesting items a newcomer has made their first post. :)

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

4. Amy Ginsburg

Amy Ginsburg New Member

Thanks! He's fabulous in person but highly unusual. I cannot begin to imagine what it must have cost to ship him across the world. I should really take a picture of him next to a person just for perspective. I'm reluctant to show too much detail on his back half but the carving was so anatomically correct and with such detail that you can easily see he's a male.

5. Amy Ginsburg

Amy Ginsburg New Member

Thank you! I have tried to find forums like that but never have much luck finding people who are knowledgeable about vintage marionettes. Hopefully, I'll get lucky.

6. Bronwen

If you have a whole collection of these, you may be better off placing them with an auction house that would include them in a sale devoted to vintage toys, or Asian folk art, something that way. I don't know what resources are available to you.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Have you tried Traditional Burmese puppets. This one is 2 feet long, not as large as yours but large.
    [​IMG]

Dawnno, kyratango, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Another large Burmese one
    D66M2M.jpg

Dawnno, kyratango, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Bronwen has a good idea there. I noticed a section of marionettes on liveauctioneers. That may give you some auction houses to try.

Dawnno, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh please.........don't mind us.....our better sensibilities were dealt with ...looong ago !!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with Kiko, it is Burmese. Post-1940, when Burmese puppet theatre was revived after it had all but died in the 1880s.

A horse is interesting, apart from being anatomically correct.;) Apparently it can also be used to represent the spirit of a horse, like in this tree shrine:

upload_2019-5-30_11-24-7.jpeg
    https://paulsmit.smugmug.com/keyword/marionette;burma;myanmar/

13. Amy Ginsburg

Amy Ginsburg New Member

where would I find such a site? My concern is that the shipping costs on these would kill me. I'm almost to the point of donating them to any museum that would pay to ship them.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

I admit there are many obstacles. I can see such things being of interest to interior decorators who work for high end clients. The problem becomes how to get them in front of such people & then how to get them there. Your being willing to donate them I would like to think opens up more possibilities. Short of selling them for reasonable sums to people who would appreciate them, what would you like to see happen to them?

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They won't, sorry. They will spend money to ship rare Burmese antiques, but not to ship pretty souvenirs.
    As Bronwen said, this would be regarded as a good quality decorator's piece.
    Is there an auction house near you where you could bring them?

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted