Featured Vintage Mexican Pendant-Type of stone?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Alesia42, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Hi!...I'm always Thrifting it seems...I'd rather find a great piece of jewelry thrifting than to buy it from a jewelry store...it's so much more fun making a discovery.....but this is a cabuchon shaped pendant in sterling silver from Mexico.....the pictures don't do it justice....without the flash there is a bluish color that shows up moving in different areas across the dome..... so I'm not sure if this is a natural stone or glass....now I have watched a few videos on Opals and they always state that valuable gems or stones are never put in silver....then I found out that that wasn't always true, that in the past valuable stones have been set in silver.....so not being a expert...its a little confusing....I paid very little for it...and I bought it because it was vintage silver, and pretty......If someone knows what type of stone this is....your input will be greatly appreciated rsz_opal_ring_white_background_009.jpg rsz_opal_ring_white_background_016.jpg rsz_opal_ring_white_background_004.jpg rsz_opal_ring_white_background_005.jpg rsz_opal_ring_white_background_013.jpg

singing, Lucille.b, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

My vote is for glass.

judy, Xristina, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  3. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

Glass faux opal. It looks like it has a bit of blue flash like dragon’s breath. Pretty!

Janice Nicholls, judy, KSW and 4 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Dragon's breath opal glass. Yeppers! I'd haul that home ASAP.

Janice Nicholls, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Looks like what is called a Mexican glass fire opal or foiled glass fire opal. Here's an example of a Mexican sterling silver ring with a glass fire opal that sold on ebay. Your pendant also looks similar to some natural Mexican fire opals (many examples can be found on Google images). If you can see pieces of colored foil in your stone, then it's glass.
    ring.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174748253354?hash=item28afcebcaa:g:c8EAAOSwBDRgh~l5&nma=true&si=qAKL0kZr473y4Y%2B7dUrLntcN7QY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    singing and KSW like this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Post 1979. Nice piece.

judy and KSW like this.
  8. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

Thanks!

judy and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yep, me too.
    Beautiful piece. This glass is a work of art :)

reader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted