Featured Vintage Mona Lisa picture -- what do you call this type of pic?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I realize this is a copy, of course. Just curious if it is worth listing or not.

I've seen art like this, thinking it might have been a tourist piece at some point in the 20th century. Would I call the frame "gesso" style?

Just need a few keywords so if I do list it I'm putting the correct info in.

Thanks!

mona2.jpg mona3.jpg mona5.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I might say "Medieval Style Frame" though I'd do more research than I just did to make sure that's accurate.

Google images has gotten annoying for research... it's overrun now with new items for sale. :(

Fid, i need help, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Add decoupage for the paper copy of the painting?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks 1920s-ish. Given label in English, could well be a decorative piece from an American department store or some such. She was painted during the Renaissance, by way, so assume frame was meant to evoke same period. Try an internet image search for "Renaissance tabernacle frame."

Debora

5. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

I agree with you Pat P.

Google as the source of all wisdom is becoming the source of all sales. Very disappointing. Let’s hope another search engine challenges their unacceptable monopoly. ;)

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Yup, let's hope for a new, improved search engine.

Of course, on the other hand, what Google Images is doing might end up helping sales. :)

judy, i need help and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. :)

judy, Pat P and i need help like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lucille, I'm not certain that this is as old as it looks. I remember that things like this were very popular in the 1960's - decorative pieces coming out of Italy. (It was the same time that all those Florentine trays & the like were so popular - the ones that folks call "tole", but which which really aren't...)

cxgirl, Fid, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I have a better search engine: antiquers...

Pat P and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frame looks older to me. And I'd think it dates to a period following the Mona Lisa's theft (1911) and recovery (1913) when the work became world famous. If it were 1960s (and I was shopping in Italy in those days,) I'd expect the frame to be "Florentine" like this one. But there's one dating clue we haven't discussed. Is the label written by fountain or ball point pen?

Debora

Florentine Frame.jpg

i need help likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

fwiw, my parents bought very similar stuff in Italy in the 50s. Loadsa Old Masters.

SBSVC and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted