Vintage Murano Murrine Glass Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Jul 5, 2021.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I'm interested in purchasing this antique/vintage (possibly) murrine glass lamp, which the owner claims to be from the 1920s.

The style and colours seem to be right for the period, but naturally, I don't want to end up buying a lemon due to my lack of experience.
    I'll be asking the seller for some more pics, especially of the holder. If the lamp has been converted from oil at some time, I thing I'll give it a miss, as I try to avoid pieces that have been 'messed around with' and no longer original, if you see what I mean.

Are there any Murano experts out there who might be willing to have their say ???

All contributions welcome ! 451_-74125695.jpg

Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

IMHO If the lamp is 1920s converted, The fact that they drilled a hole in the base for the cord would be a red flag for me.
    Looks like it started its life as an electric lamp to me. European plug. 1940s 1950s
    Just an observation
    Mikey

4. 15Stiftgasse

Thanks for your ultra fast response, Mikey. I totally agree with your opinion regarding a drilled base. Would you agree that the lamp could indeed be from the 20s or 30s ? What irks me somewhat, is that the brass bulb holder seems to have what could perhaps be a circular adjuster/regulator (?) as normally seen on oil lamps. Anyway, all will be hopefully revealed when I get the extra pics.
    Once again, many thanks.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  5. 15Stiftgasse

Bronwen and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  6. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell with just the single picture. Will wait for more before I would make a call on older and converted.
    Mikey

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks legit to me. Could be 20s-40s. Love it in any case! Makes me hungry for peppermint!

Draft saved Draft deleted