Featured Vintage Native American Wedding Vase

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Alesia42, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Alesia42

Alesia42 Active Member

This is a wedding vase that was purchased via a Antique store....it has a kind of rough texture that has a slightly glittered appearance this style is done by using micaceous clay....created by the Pueblo Indian....the vase is approx. 8.5 in ht x 8 in w at widest point..(the information that I gathered about this vase was via google)........ rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_002.jpg rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_003.jpg rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_001.jpg rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_005.jpg rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_006 (1).jpg rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_012 (1).jpg rsz_antique_native_american_wedding_vase_011.jpg

singing, Figtree3, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I think what you've identified here sounds right to me. There are good previous discussions on this very forum about wedding vases and their 'authenticity' such as it is. You can search for those. And which pueblos are known for micaceous clay is easy to find online too.

Did you have some other question about it?

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

antidiem, judy, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Maybe my post belongs more accurately in Rants and Raves, but, the mention of "...the Pueblo Indian," brought it on.

So, I'll repeat, once more..."Pueblo" is not a tribe. There is no single tribe called "Pueblo." There are 21 independent tribes, each a sovereign Indian nation/tribe/pueblo in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. They each have their own distinct cultures, history, and tribal languages.

The term "pueblo" actually dates back to the Spanish conquistadors, who applied it to any tribe they encountered who lived in apartment-like dwellings in permanent villages (“pueblos” in Spanish), as opposed to being nomadic (like the Plains Indians), or living on individual family farms scattered across the countryside (like the Navajo.)

It might be compared to the use of "European" when one really is talking about Italians, Spanish, or Norwegians. True, they share a geographical location, and certain similarities, but, like European countries, "Pueblo" tribes deserve to be recognized as separate entities.

Draft saved Draft deleted