Vintage or Antique? Seahorse? Bird? Wooden Jewelry Box?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Mar 30, 2021.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Hello,

Am eager to find out about this thing, especially age and value. About 9" long and 1
    lb. Thanks!

IMG_20210330_225303.jpg

IMG_20210330_225429.jpg

IMG_20210330_225308.jpg

IMG_20210330_225314.jpg

IMG_20210330_225403.jpg

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it started out as one block of wood. Inspect the lid and the base. Do the wood grains match perfectly?

KSW likes this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Looks like your hunch is correct, Roaring. It's not obvious at first as the red painted top has a bit of overlap and its share of nicks. But the grains on upper and lower pieces do appear to match.

KSW likes this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

dude and KSW like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like an Indian sindoor or kumkum box for coloured pigments. In which case a bird is more likely than a seahorse.
    It isn't antique and doesn't look vintage either.:bag:

6. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Hi @Any Jewelry normally would'nt they be smaller in size? Also the holes don't seem conducive for fingers to go in to put the sindhur on the finger. At 9inces i think its too big for a sindhoor box, but i could be wrong.

dude likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Hi Roshan. I must admit, I didn't convert the size (we're metric), but I just checked.:)
    Yes, it could be a bit on the big side. Would the chunkiness allow for it being a bigger size? Or is it a spice box maybe?

dude likes this.
  8. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could use this wood as a spice box. Seems unlikely given its different sized holes.
    May be just some sort of decorative box ? or may be a betel nut box?

dude likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I think it was most likely sold as home decor.
    It would be a bit awkward for betel as well.
    The paint could be toxic, and reaction with some spice oils may be problem.:nailbiting: But that doesn't matter if it is only meant to look pretty.;)

dude likes this.
  10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted