VINTAGE Pendant light

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SeaGoat, Oct 14, 2015.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide what decade this pendant light is from.
    It does have a bit of weight behind it.

I originally thought maybe the 40s but someone pointed out to me that not a lot of metal was used during the 40s due to the war.
    Maybe the early 50s?

I have included a picture of the stickers as maybe it will help lend a clue
    ...and please excuse my unfinished back splash :D

Attached Files:

KingofThings and Ryan like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

My WAG is 1960's, maybe even 70's. It looks like an aluminum casting, is it? The clear insulation wire is replacement.

KingofThings and Ryan like this.
  3. SeaGoat

I replaced the cord. It had white cloth wire.

I dont think its aluminum because of the weight. I asked the significant other and he didnt think it was aluminum either

KingofThings likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Does a magnet attract it? If so may be cast iron, but not likely. Then if not magnetic and not aluminum, is probably plated spelter. edit: Let me re-guess the date-either 1940's or 50's, based on scant web info. Last date I can find associated with Leader Lamp is 1954 in a patent. Corning Glass Museum has a Leader catalog they date to 1940's, is supposed to show mostly lantern-type electric lamps.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 60s is about right.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Seagoat, just a wild-eyed "I wonder if" but . . .

Do you think it might be possible to at least "sort of" date the lamp by the number on the "Union Made" label?

Three questions which I have not researched:

When did the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) label come into being on electrical products to certify their safety when in use?

Was the "union label" a precursor to the UL label?

Did all states "subscribe" to the UL label from its inception?

Like I said, I'm just wondering. ;)

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don;t think UL , had anything to do with the Unions....

KingofThings likes this.
  8. SeaGoat

No magnet will stick to it. Im guessing spelter.
    Trying to date the labels was going to be my next step. Ive done a little poking around and cant really find any info on it.
    Ill try again

KingofThings likes this.
  9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Doesn't the absence of a zip code make it pre-early-1960s?
    Also, I'm curious... when did cloth-covered wires go out of mainstream production?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  10. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Very likely. I also notice that there isn't even a "zone" number, which is what most large cities used before the Zipcode era.

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Every reference I've found in a cursory search for Leader Lamp has been from the 1940's. That's not a definitive search, by any means, but the 1940's seems to have been the heyday of the company.

The June 1941 and January 1942 issues of the JOURNAL OF ELECTRICAL WORKERS AND OPERATORS (from The Electrical Workers Journal, 1200 15th St, Washington, DC) each include a “cooperative manufacturers” listing for:

Leader Lamp Co, 79 Crosby St, New York City.
    (Note: this address, just east of SoHo in lower Manhattan, is currently home to a luxury boutique hotel.)

The listings are in the category Lighting Fixtures and Lighting Equipment. (You can see copies of the listings if you search for "Leader Lamp" 79 Crosby St, New York City.)

Various 1943 publications (including The Wave, Rockaway Beach, Queens, NY, April 15, 1943) include mention of Leader Lamp Mfg Co, as a claimant in the settlement of an estate.

I didn't find anything definitive about Leader either before or after the 1940's.

I'm just wondering if that helps to date your fixture in any way.

-C-

KingofThings, cxgirl and SeaGoat like this.
  12. SeaGoat

Thanks for all that information!
    I honestly do think it's very 40s-eque.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

OK, here comes the pest again. Please don't labor over this one. Mainly because I don't know where mine is. Will explain later.
    Never heard the name - pendant light. Did basically minimal research and am at this time asking for leads on where to restart. The above pictures hit me between the eyes. I totally forgot about mine.

My parents bought a house in 1930. It was built in 1900. When they passed away I handled the estate. When selling the house removed a few items. Such as the "pendant light" in the entry foyer. Age - 1900 to 1930. I'd say 1900. I know my parents didn't add it.
    Metal, bronze type color, with 4 sides glass that went side to side and top to bottom with a very narrow frame. Reverse side painting on all. Trees, meadow and sky.

Just some hints, please.
    If you find a picture of mine, with a date, maker, and recent auction prices and a few identical on eBay I shall have to leave antiquers.com.

You've already overwhelmed me with your competence. And that's not kidding!

TIA

14. komokwa

If you find a picture of mine, with a date, maker, and recent auction prices and a few identical on eBay I shall have to leave antiquers.com.

I've searched for days and found nothing even remotely akin to yours.

So stay put !!:stop::stop:...:shifty:

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree. UL (Underwriter's Laboratories) has to do with testing the safety of something. The Union label is for the IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers), the labor that made the light fixture.

I have worked though a few of the websites I have bookmarked on dating of electrical stuff and such finding nothing to add to this query.

--- Susan

KingofThings, SeaGoat and komokwa like this.
  16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Ooops, need to take back some of what I said in my previous reply. According to a query on eBay Community in Oct 2014, it seems I.B.E.W. were not only assemblers but also did testing of electrical safety. Between you, me and the fence post, I really don't understand all the labeling, etc... on electrical fixtures. I should not have posted anything on this thread. Here is the query on eBay. Read replies posted by "Indythings" #s 10, 11, 13 as well as by others.
    http://community.ebay.com/t5/Antiqu...ctric-lamp-Sticker-on-base-IBEW/td-p/22876757

--- Susan

KingofThings and SeaGoat like this.
  17. TheOLdGuy

Gates2.jpg

Thanks, Komo. I'll have to find another excuse. GatesLamp.jpg Gates2.jpg HandelLamp.jpg

In the meantime I'm taking a break from finding similar to SeaGoat's or mine.

Closest found is = and this has a short story - http://www.ebay.com/itm/201448845596
    Last time I researched mine I will swear under oath that one was there. Can't miss the coat rack. And that was prior to 2012.
    Either the seller has a 3D printer or the patience of a saint.

With no prices attached, nor IDs. And it got tougher because I can't recall whether my frame stretched/lengthened top or bottom. Or how many glass panels. I want to compromise and say 5. Artist on mine was considerably better than the eBay one.Not bragging, just being honest.
    GatesLamp.jpg HandelLamp.jpg

I came across this table lamp. Labeled as a Handel. EXACTLY as the one we sold to one of those antique dealers who were trying to out bid each other on the Alma Frappia horse. (Maybe I shouldn't have give them so much scotch.) BTW, my "Handel" lamp had no ID on it. Did Handel sign all of theirs?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  18. TheOLdGuy

Don't ask how I did that. The technique is copyrighted and I'd have to charge you for it. :oops: :rolleyes:

KingofThings and SeaGoat like this.
  19. komokwa

Handel-egyptian-revival.jpg

I DO NOT HAVE THIS SHADE !!!!
    Wish I did.....
    But I have the base , & TOG...they signed this one !

20. TheOLdGuy

Thanks, Komo. I like your base better than mine. I gave up looking for Handel marks on lamps because some were on the glass shade, some on the bottom and some not found. Then I was lucky to find this.

http://www.handellamps.com/marks/

With your base signed, I'll wish you a lot of luck finding a nice shade. Doesn't have to be Egyptian motif.

My lamp was an inherited piece. Never could find an ID, so probably not. The one I copied and pasted said it was Handel but no proof offered. No matter how large our house we never really had a place to put it. Either clashed with the decor or too precarious a spot with 4 boys running around.

The pine cone hanging lamp above is closest to mine, but smaller. Four panels. It is packed away somewhere, I hope.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted