Featured Vintage photo album - early 20th cent. Sell complete or take out photos?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

This photo album belonged to a friend. It's his father, aunt and grandparents and I'm guessing 1920s based on his Dad's age when he passed. Friend is late 60s, unmarried, childless and has no near relatives to give it to so we're going to sell it. My question is should I list it as is or should I take out individual photos - some are kind of interesting. I haven't sold many photos so I'm not sure.

IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4631.JPG IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4640.JPG

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

IMG_4621.jpg There is also a framed photo of his Dad in knickers. 9" x 7"

3. Annpan

Annpan Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

plus fours lol

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Bev, I dont see any photos that have strong topograhical, historical or military interest. They maybe of more relevance as a single sale. They may also be of family history interest?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If money no object, you friend could always donate it to the historical society in his grandparent's hometown.

Debora

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm not sure where it is. He's developmentally disabled. My husband and I agreed to be his guardians. My husband knew the family well. He's high functioning, but can't do paperwork, medical stuff. If you ask him this type of question, he says, "Jeekers, I don't know." He just had major surgery for bladder cancer. He's really a nice guy. He has a trust fund and he works as a bagger at the local supermarket - 28 years now. He had an older half-brother who moved in with him after his parents died with a shark girlfriend. Black widow. She'd already buried one boyfriend. His brother died right after his father and the black widow was the brother's heir. She brought in other people to live in the house and got him to cash in a $90,000 money market account and took the money. We went through two years of court appearances. We finally got the house sold and she had to pay him back the $90k out of her portion of the sale. My husband is very tenacious about stuff like that. He's now in a condo for mostly elderly people and is doing pretty well considering. Believe me, the whole time we were dealing with the girlfriend we looked for relatives. Far distant if any exist, so there's no family interest. Every little bit helps, so I guess I'll just list it whole and see what we get. She took the family silver and other valuables and we never could get anything back from that because we couldn't prove it.

pearlsnblume, KingofThings and judy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sounds like you've already got your hands full. If you want to spend any more time on this before listing, plug your friend's name into familysearch.org, the free genealogy site, and see if you can get any basic information from census records, etc. Since, as noted above, there may not be any strong subject interest, location and/or surname might be your best search terms for an on-line listing.

Debora

Cindy MotZ, KingofThings and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Does the guy recognize any of the photo's......if not , sell the package....although the frame one looks nice on it's own.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You & hubby have big hearts !! :happy::kiss:

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

This is always so sad to me. :(
    The most fun one I saw was the little girl with the umbrella :)
    but I guess I'd sell the whole thing at once. :(

Aquitaine, judy and komokwa like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I second this.

I am not sure what is best, I do know some people just collect old b/w pics so I hope it goes well for you.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

On the subject of your compassion - I can only echo what others have said............and thank you for it.

On the subject of your album - back in the late 70s, early 80s I found a mess of albums such as this in one of our attics. No one alive had any clue where they came from, so it was decided to toss them................because I had a twisted mind even then, I took some pages that were obviously of the same subject, all taken on what appeared to be the same occasion. I then wrote captions for each photo, constructing a "story line". Some of them were adult themed, many were not, and I gifted them to (age appropriate) people. For a while they were sort of "the rage" in certain circles.................I wonder if any of them are still around....................and for the life of me, I can not remember what pseudonym I used......................

Aquitaine, komokwa, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  13. KingofThings

:)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Oh, Manson's, please write a story line for me. LOL

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  15. KingofThings

OH!!!!!!
    Make a thread to caption your photos!!!! :)

16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I too second this! With what looks like a cedar shingled house, beach scenes, landscape, I would guess in your corner of the world, Bev, Cape Cod. With the hats the woman are wearing I'd date most of the pics in the teens. I zoomed in on a few pics hoping to spot something in the background to ID locations. I believe the only locale I can ID is on the 6th page of pics. The woman, man, & boy standing on a boulder under an arch. I bet the boy is standing on Plymouth Rock as it appeared in the 1920s. Since the 1920s the rock is more protected and can't climb on it any more. Quite a bit of the rock had been chipped away as souvenirs. Today it is nearly flat on top. More protection was needed. Here is the canopy that covered it from the 1867 to the 1920s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Rock#/media/File:Plymouth_Rock_1867.jpg

Had no luck ID any other locations:
    2nd page: girl covered in sand on the beach. I was hoping to ID the location by the line of buildings/shops/amusements along the beach. That shoreline has no doubt changed greatly since.
    4th page: boy, dog and woman on steps of latticed porch. There is a church in the background. That church may be long gone.

--- Susan

Plymouth Rock:
    Photos-Arch.jpg

Beach:
    Photos-Beach.jpg
    Porch with church in background:
    Photos-Porch.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Figtree3, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  17. KingofThings

1) Plymouth Rock: Damn! I can see California from up here!
    ~
    2) Beach: HELP! Someone spin my head back around!!!
    ~
    3) Porch with church in background: Ha! I just farted!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  18. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Another pic of Plymouth Rock pre 1920. The base of the canopy looks identical to the what can be seen in the pic.

--- Susan

PlymouthRockPC.jpg

KingofThings, Debora and Bakersgma like this.
  19. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Bev - learning about what you have done for this gentleman, and then all the efforts of the others on the forum to try to help. Wow.

This Forum is my Happy Place.

KingofThings, Bakersgma and SBSVC like this.
  20. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Can I get an AMEN, Brothers & Sisters?

Draft saved Draft deleted