VINTAGE RIDING CROP w/SHAGGY LEATHER STRIPS?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Aug 13, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I got this over the week-end - I believe it's a riding crop but I've never seen one with the shag/suede strips! Is it to remind the horse of the crop without having to hit it?
    Is this a riding crop or a "adult's" crop?
    Any idea of age?
    Thank you!

COLLECTIBLE CROP RIDING CROP WHIP 1AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CROP RIDING CROP WHIP 2AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CROP RIDING CROP WHIP 3AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CROP RIDING CROP WHIP 4AA.JPG COLLECTIBLE CROP RIDING CROP WHIP 5AA.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've not seen one like that but suspect the fringes would slow the travel of the crop thru the air and lessen the sting of the flap......
    I don't see it for adult S & M play...

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

for some reason "bull horse" crop comes to mind, but it has been 20 years since I have even looked at any tack let alone rode.

Eh, I get no love from google using the term "bull horse crop" so I may be way off.....besides it is apparently Western/American gear and I always rode English (and still sit on the callouses to prove it). It could be South American, though...............that is IF it was actually made for equestrian use................though I would expect black leather if for "sports".

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    kyratango likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a regular bat with some added fringe that's curled up - I rode Western and used one for games (gymkhana), but friends with jumpers also used bats. Interestingly, the only fringed crop a quick search found had a very long slapper and was described as a "Handmade American Indian Unique Bull Horse Crop With fringe": https://tackstore.org/shop/vintage-handmade-american-indian-bull-horse-crop-with-fringe/ Looking for a others, found a pair of "Antique set of 2 Leather Wrapped Horse Bull Crop Whip w/Stiletto in Handle", also with very long slappers: https://www.vintagequalityantiques....ed-horse-bull-crop-whip-w-stiletto-in-handle/

As for the color on 'adult use' pieces, had a friend who did well with his fine leather whips, crops, floggers, etc. for the BDSM crowd, some in black, but more in 'fun' colors...

~Cheryl

Mansons2005 and kyratango like this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I couldn't get a single relevaant return using the search Bull Horse! And now, from your description, I have no idea why I even thought of the term....................

must clear the clutter from my mind, must clear the clutter...................

kyratango likes this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Wasn't a term I knew, and can't recall seeing any like either of those (or one fringed like this one), but both that I found apparently have some age...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted