Featured Vintage russian silver compact / box

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lennyt, May 11, 2018.

1. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

20180510_225608_HDR-873x1164.jpg I wonder if anyone can ID maker or at least point me in a right direction.
    I bought this small russian box on flea market and it is dated 1943. But there are no hallmarks or any marks at all.

20180510_225249_HDR-873x1164.jpg 20180510_225349_HDR-1164x873.jpg 20180510_225329_HDR-873x1164.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pill box..?

judy likes this.
  3. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

And the mirror to see pills clearer? :)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. komokwa

I'd say powder, but the mirror is hardly the size of a Susan B. Anthony......;)

Did they have lip gloss back then..???

judy likes this.
  5. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

Don't know. What I do know this would be a VERY expensive present in Russia (Leningrad) in a middle of WWII. And without markings or hallmarks I don't even know where to start.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  6. komokwa

The piece is classy for sure.
    By tomorrow there should be more eyes on it..!

are you certain it's Russian?
    Stuff moved around a lot during the war.........
    Just saying.....;)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a gorgeous little compact. Have you searched around the edges for impossibly small marks?
    It could have been made at an earlier date and engraved for a special occasion during the war. My mother was 16 in 1940, when Germany invaded the Netherlands. My grandfather anticipated he might not be able to buy her a nice present for her 18th birthday, and bought a gold and aquamarine ring right at the start of the war, to keep and give to her on her 18th birthday, if both were still alive. Thankfully they were, and she got the perfect present for her 18th. They both survived the war, and I have the ring now.
    They had lip pomade. They also had powder rouge, which this could have been for.

8. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

I can't be certain of anything at this point. The inscription is in Russian and basically states "from loved to my love 1943 Leningrad".
    Leningrad was under siege by Germans until Jan 1944. There was almost nothing to eat and any kind of jewelry presents were out of ordinary.
    I looked everywhere and there are no markings, not even a hint.

The box is silver, inlays are 14k Russian gold, I can tell by color. The inscription is period correct and workmanship is pretty much perfect.
    That is all I know.

judy, Figtree3, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, it looks Russian to me. Without the date I would have thought early 20th century. The look, and the situation in Leningrad at the time, make me think it was an older piece, engraved in 1943 for a special occasion. It is very touching.

judy, aaroncab and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know about silver personal accessories, but all the Soviet-era gold jewellery I have seen has 3 or 4 marks in conspicuous places. Maybe it was for pretending to powder your nose while really keeping an eye on the person behind you!

11. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Is this a hallmark??
    111.jpg

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I love the box and it has my Gram's initials.
    greg

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. Lennyt

Lennyt Well-Known Member

No just a little wear from closing lid.

14. Any Jewelry

If it was made in 1943, I don't know if anyone was assaying silver in Leningrad at the time. But it looks pre-war to me, possibly even pre-Soviet.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    judy and Bronwen like this.
  15. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Lenny, that is a lovely little piece!

I'm going to agree with everyone who said "compact" or "powder", and add, "perhaps rouge".

I don't want to hijack your thread, just want to show that the size is perfectly appropriate for powder and/or rouge at the time it was made.

This one was my grandmother's and still has rouge in it:
    img0 (17).jpg
    img0 (19).jpg

judy, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Beautiful, SBSVC.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  17. komokwa

Ok...the Guilloche enamel is lovely ...and there are hinges and compartments aplenty.....and it's very feminine ....which the OP's box is not.....to my eye...which is why I didn't think powder....unless some of the guts are missing....which also may have held metal or makers marks....
    just sayin....

judy and SBSVC like this.
  18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I agree with Anyjewelry that the compact itself is much older than the engraved date.Id have thought it 1870s-80s. I cant imagine in 1943 when things were at their grimmest that someone would worry about engraving a gift when the majority of the people were starving to death.
    Ive got the pillbox to your compact SBSVC! Also my grandmothers. :)[​IMG]

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I were guessing (and not just drooling all over that box!) I'd say it was pre-Revolution too. If it was for powder it's missing some innards, as Komo mentioned, and that may be where the marks were. There may have been a removable powder or lip salve container that's gone its merry way.

judy, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

You know what, Johnny? My Grandma had one of those, too! She used to carry her "nitro tablets" in it. I wonder what ever happened to it? I know that I don't have it...

judy, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted