Featured Vintage ship’s anchor- (maybe just for fun)

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Boland, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

30FA7F84-F887-4D21-BAD6-7B5CAD15DABE.jpeg DAC92D32-E244-4E9F-B1A3-B64D88CEFFA0.jpeg 9E5322D5-6802-49C4-A75F-D3BCFDAE20E8.jpeg So this is the first for me. I bought a vintage ship’s anchor (because it’s something different and cool) I know nothing about this (but doing some reading now)!How do you age these things? The material used (like iron and hand forged)and the general shape? As the shape maybe evolved over the years. I know there are some collectors out there. Its 103cm long and 79cm wide at the bottom and heavy (ha ha big surprise there!) So Iam saying 1920’s (just because I don’t know) Any guesses as to age? The photo with our Yorkie is for scale.

2. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Only my opinion, however, the flukes are odd shaped and the crown seems weak to me. I think it is a reproduction. I could be wrong.

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. It may very well be a repro,I don’t know. The guy I got it from said he got it from an antique dealer/trader about 20 years in Durban (a large port city) But as you know most people have story. It just feels really heavy and solid (to me)for something that’s just for ‘show’. But again I really don’t know. You might be very right..

pearlsnblume, judy and Robert Ransom like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

However you do sound like you know a thing or 2 about anchors!

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

It appears to be cast iron and that would account for the weight.

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Had a look a pictures. This anchor looks very much like some of the pictures of some earlier wrought iron anchors (also thinner crown and fluke shape) So maybe this anchor was modelled as a reproduction based on those.

7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Could it have been for a smaller maybe river or canal boat?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

But maybe it should also be more rusted if it was used on a boat?

judy likes this.
  9. Robert Ransom

I say, sit back and enjoy your new find, however, you now have a problem; how are you to display your anchor?

judy and Boland like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bolted to a wall where his big, fierce doggie can't knock it over?

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks real to me..
    & displaying is easy with the leaning bar...

upload_2021-7-24_13-7-25.jpeg

upload_2021-7-24_13-7-55.jpeg

i think it's known as a fishermans...or sailboat style..

upload_2021-7-24_13-16-17.jpeg

judy, Bronwen and Boland like this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Yes,I agree (just enjoy it)! I did think about the display problem. You would need special brackets and some type of wall reinforced if you want to wall mount this heavy thing.
    Anyway thanks again for your interest and comments.

judy likes this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha,she does have a bit of an attitude. Like all Yorkies

judy likes this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

:):):)
    Hi Komokwa,thank you for the comments and photos.Interesting information about the fisherman’s or sailboat type. I obviously still hope it’s real. I also had alook at a similar diagram. And yes I agree using the bar to display is best. :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Looks like the real deal to me ! I like it , I would have bought it if it was in my budget !

16. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. I was lucky to get it for a very good price.

judy likes this.
  17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Over here I would say that is a canal boat or narrow boat anchor, used in fresh water so they don't corrode as quickly.

modern sea/ salt water anchors are usually stainless or galvanized.

Gus Tuason, judy and Boland like this.
  18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering as to the size and manner of boat that this would be used for. I was also thinking along those lines. Yes,maybe a river boat,canal boat,mid size sailing boat or such

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  19. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I've always been an admirer of old anchors and I don't think you have a problem with this one not being authentic. It definitely is not cast iron. Google "old anchors" and you will see the many variations that anchors are and were made in the old days. Many were made in local blacksmiths shops and varied according to materials available and preferences. I've seen several of this type displayed, mounted upright at about a 60 degree slant, on a concrete base with one fluke buried or with a special imbedded fastener. In order to increase the stability, the stock would also be fastened down to the rear of the anchor plane.

Boland likes this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi Gus,I appreciate your opinion,that’s great news. You seem to be a “boat guy” (that beautiful motor yacht in your profile picture) and I see you have a long history in antique dealing and you know anchors! (it all makes you the best person to comment) What you say about the display method also makes perfect sense. Thanks again for the confirmation and response. Keep well

Draft saved Draft deleted