Featured Vintage Silhouette?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I've had very little time for antiquing recently, but found this in a charity shop today, and couldn't resist. At first glance it looks like a paper cut - the trees are separate from the background, which is printed (possibly halftone, from what I've seen online).

After searching I've only found this, the cover of a book published a few years back, and the tree outlines are pretty much the same: https://www.kunstmann.de/buch/hans_stilett-eulenrod-9783888978623/t-0/

So... German? Tourist piece, maybe? Is the writing a signature, or the name of the place (I can't read it)? It's in a frame (black and gold) but the light is poor at the moment so I'll add a photo tomorrow. Thanks!
    papercut 2.jpg
    papercut sig.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    cxgirl, Pat P, i need help and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is the name of the place, Wartburg castle in Germany. Of Martin Luther fame.

[​IMG]

3. Batman_2000

Oooh, thank you! It took a different pair of eyes to see that... and the tower of the castle looks the same as the photo :)

4. Any Jewelry

I tried to find more on the cover of Eulenrod, but nothing yet. It does look the same to me, except the Wartburg is covered by the title.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice find Bats !!!!

6. Batman_2000

A few more photos, including close ups (best I could do, given reflections & lighting):
    P1180182.JPG P1180183.JPG P1180187.JPG P1180192.JPG

Looks to me like it's been reframed... or the back replaced. The frame is painted wood, quite solid. The paper cut looks punched rather than hand cut - does anyone know about this kind of thing? I'm wondering about age, since the frame initially looked 60s/70s to me. Could it be older?

I'm SO tempted to take the back off! But frightened of spoiling it!

Pat P, cxgirl, i need help and 3 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very nice!

It looks like the mat might be acidic. You might consider having it reframed (possibly using the same frame) with a new mat.

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The trees look "die-cut," cut out by a machine. Today there are home hobby machines that can do this (I have one), but since this looks older, I would think it was a commercial item.

On the other hand, it's possible the trees were cut out by hand. It would require quite a lot of patience, though!

9. Batman_2000

Thanks, I'm going to see if I can find out some more by writing to the Warburg Castle Foundation and then maybe I'll have it reframed :). It looks die-cut to me (thanks Pat, I wasn't sure what it was called), but could also be cut by knife causing indentations at the edges? I'm really not sure about any of this. I've looked around online for close ups of other paper cuts for comparison, but haven't come across many.

I have learned a new word though... scherenschnitte, meaning scissor cuts or paper snipping in German... http://www.antiquetrader.com/features/shear_delight_scherenschnitte/

10. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

The writing doesnt say wartburg.
    Neither does the photo provided resemble the castle on the op print.

11. Batman_2000

The writing is difficult to read, but I can see 'Wartburg'... I found this old image too and a few similar ones with the two towers in:
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 07.54.23.png
    (http://www.lexikus.de/bibliothek/Der-Fuehrer-auf-der-Wartburg)

Hopefully the Castle Foundation will respond to my e-mail. I also wrote to the publishers of the Eulenrod book, to see if they had any information *fingers crossed*.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Makanudo

Thats "anyburg" castle in that time germany...
    Look closely to the photo AJ provided. There is no low right side building and the castle is no match either.
    The only sure thing about signature is ...burg., but the first letter isnt w

13. Any Jewelry

The photo I posted is taken from the other side. I immediately recognized the Wartburg, just couldn't find a photo from the right angle. There are prints from the same angle as Batman's silhouette in the link Batman posted, viewed from the south. They are all clearly of the Wartburg, and say so.

Other views of the Wartburg, with the two towers visible:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Batman_2000 likes this.
  14. Makanudo

Yes...
    ...well take a look at other paintings of other german/austrian castles of that age.

Draft saved Draft deleted