Featured Vintage silver bracelet & pendant - Mark help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BMRT, Jan 12, 2020.

1. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

Greetings,

I haven’t had much success in learning anything else about who may have made these and where they came from.

Both pendant and bracelet had been listed as “Biedermeier style, 835 silver”. The garnets in the bracelet have a few cracks in them and the pendant has a random rod-like protrusion in it like it was a part of something more ornate. They both look like they got a bit of a beating at some point. My question for everyone is can anyone make out what these marks are? And does this style look consistent with what it was listed as? I am not familiar with Biedermeier jewelry and the sellers thought these are from the 1930s.

C527B0E0-BC6C-4010-AB9C-E1558406549D.jpeg 829FFC8B-2E1D-4FFF-A1B1-C2A8AE7ABC5E.jpeg

Here are the marks on the bracelet: 96217BFF-391F-481F-A7C0-E2835CF8D039.jpeg D1F15774-7A4C-43A5-BF8B-F3731E3B4065.jpeg 126E03F3-D8C9-44FF-8495-5AF5A00FCB43.jpeg 4E6F9112-2A56-4E89-8C2C-B05A30FD700F.jpeg

And here are the marks on the pendant: 8C94EA11-9A3C-4F92-955E-946B122D4A19.jpeg 2A104FA5-9E11-48D2-A4D9-156AB9261716.jpeg 52A8AC3E-4808-4F10-AF67-B36009E4C2D6.jpeg

reader, judy, Figtree3 and 7 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you always have such nice taste !!!:happy::happy:

reader, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at Austria for this one. It looks like one of the printed marks I can't read says Austria; that's what's known as a clue. (LOL)

reader, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  4. BMRT

Your so kind, thank you

reader, KSW and komokwa like this.
  5. BMRT

I’m apparently blind. Which one says Austria? :bag: I’ll start looking at Austrian marks.

KSW likes this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I suffer from that frequently :hilarious:

judy and BMRT like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are gorgeous, BMRT. I agree, the style is Austrian and south German. It is a 20th century continuation of the famous Austro-Hungarian Historic Revival style. These are often worn with regional costumes.

It looks like they have been imported into the Netherlands at some stage. This jewellery was also imported into the Netherlands, on a small scale.
    The first mark you showed is shaped like a Dutch silver weight mark, although I am not familiar with what is inside the mark. There should be a number.
    The second mark has an overlapping Dutch ZII mark. ZII is for 835 silver which was imported, unmarked antique Dutch, or of unknown origin.

I would not buy anything of this relatively recent age with cracked stones. You can still find those bracelets on the German and Austrian ebays. These were and still are popular, not very rare, so you don't have to settle for cracked stones.

My guess for the bracelet is 1950s, the pendant could be older.
    I think the pendant is a real beauty. I would buy it in a heartbeat (for the right price).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    reader, judy, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Another blind mouse here, I can't see it either.:shame:

reader, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's the upside down one, below the KK image.

reader, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    the 835 could be a mark by the German customs for testing what it really is. the stones may be Gablonz, and this town belonged to the Kronland Böhmen of the KK Austrian Empire.
    furthermore. many people do not know that the jewellers in Gablonz stamped whatever was asked for, especially when it was a bigger charge/lot. if you asked for a Made in France - bam the hammer hit it in and off it went to France.
    so it might be late German or Austrian Historismus.

reader, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't say I see 'AUSTRIA', maybe a misread on the '835W?' mark (which appears to be '835WS' on similar pieces), but can clearly see a 1922+ Austrian 3rd standard/835 'hoopoe-head' stamp next to the 'KK+' mark, can't make out the city letter, but similar items identify it as 'L' for Linz...

http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYEUHALLMARKAUSTRIA.HTML

~Cheryl

Figtree3, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now it looks like 835 IA, if upside down and blurred out. That silver fineness is usually Central Europe. I'm still betting on Austria or possibly the Czech Republic. It's a coin-flip.

BMRT, judy, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It has an Austrian mark...

~Cheryl

BMRT, judy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I read that as a right side up 835 with either W or IV.:confused:
    The Czechs never made this Austrian style, besides, the mark is Austrian.:)

BMRT, judy, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Took me a while to recognize it, I kept seeing Woodstock, the bird from the Peanuts.:hilarious:

BMRT, judy, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That would date it to 1969 or later. :):):) Just kidding, of course.

BMRT, judy, Any Jewelry and 1 other person like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

:joyful:

BMRT, KSW and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted