Featured Vintage tin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This feels and looks hand painted. Did they actually hand paint these tea tins? Approximately 5 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" wide. Thank you. P1280356ps1rsb.jpg P1280360[s1rsb.jpg P1280363ps1rs.jpg P1280358rsb.jpg P1280365ps1rs.jpg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Is there a name on the lid beneath the painting? Kind of looks like one in your last shot.
    It is handprinted. And even the black paint, which makes me think a brand name may lie beneath?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

like the tin was overpainted...

4. antidiem

Yes. Whomever painted it knew how to paint this design on black. Like they had practice. I don't have any easy answer to why this is so painted.

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

If old enough I’d expect the whole thing hand painted.

6. Mill Cove Treasures

I magnified the lid and I don't see anything under the painting. It doesn't mean something wasn't there, I'm just not seeing any evidence.

Really old cans didn't have rolled edges like this. I think rolled edges started in the early 1900's.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They painted tins in China, mainly for export. I'd say ca 1910 for this one.

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Any Jewelry. :) Do you know if these had tea inside or were just for decorative purposes?

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As far as I know they all had tea inside. You can still see these antique ones in specialized tea shops, for that authentic atmosphere.

10. Mill Cove Treasures

11. antidiem

I was thinking about this tea can this morning and decided that it was early 1900s, so 1910 is a good guess. I also think it was originally sold this way - hand painted with tea inside. There may be some name of the brand beneath it, but I do think it was painted for the sale originally.

Draft saved Draft deleted