Featured Vintage to antique evening bag help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, May 22, 2022.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

FE70837D-A136-4F85-B655-257E1941DFCC.jpeg 363BDEF0-0A6E-4F6F-B78F-41C064BE0468.jpeg 9C3CF191-8BB4-43C9-A5C8-310A9ED1DE40.jpeg
    Hello and happy Sunday!

Help on this bag, please. The stones on top are glass. Could they be gripoix? Any idea on age, origin and possible maker? I am at a loss on these types of things.
    It seems to be made really well. I searched all over the inside lip and there were no stamps

Thank you for any help

2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

That is so pretty. I would consider this a tapestry clutch purse. Just my opinion because I love purses.

gauntlettgems, bercrystal and Born2it like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think fifties. The style is earlier, but the fabric is in too good a condition to be pre WW2 to my eye. The fabric is emulating a Jacquard Paisley weave.

4. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

I’m presuming you didn’t find anything tag-wise inside the pockets, that would be too easy. Is there any sign that there ever was a strap? Any feeling for what the fabrics might be?

All I know is I would have snatched it up in a New York second when I was going to jump jazz revival shows and dressing the part. Target dates, late 1940’s, very early 1950’s.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would have thought that was a decade or so earlier.

Debora

gauntlettgems and Born2it like this.
  6. Born2it

My first take on it was late 1930’s, except for the fabric, which seemed not quite right. But (as I’m sure you are well aware) far fewer people were making, buying, or using fancy purses *during* WWII, so
    carrying a very nice pre-war p immediately post war was very much a thing, and thus perfectly fine for my purposes.

My grandmother said almost every party she went to right after the war smelled strongly of lavender and cedar. Lots of people had clothes and/or accessories they made or bought before or early in the war, that they didn’t have a chance to use until after. I’m also sure lots of purses were made shortly after the war using hardware from before.

kyratango and gauntlettgems like this.
  7. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Thank you guys. No tags on the inside and no stamped marks on any of the frame. There is a tiny 4” chain that is looped on one side. It’s in an odd spot and I could not imagine that anyone could fit their whole hand it there. I don’t see where a chain would have been attached anywhere .

Born2it likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I think the frame is older than the fabric.

Born2it likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, gauntlett.
    My impression too.
    No, these are cabochons set in a mount, and the rim is crimped to fit around the cabs so they don't fall out.
    Gripoix is made by pouring glass or crystal into a mount. Because it is poured, the edges of gripoix glass touch the rim of the mount 100% and there is no chance of the glass falling out.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
    Born2it and BoudiccaJones like this.
  10. Born2it

Hmm. Maybe to hold a key securely? Or perhaps it once held a tag?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think we'd have to see it to extrapolate purpose.

Debora

12. Born2it

No doubt. But I used to have a little silk-lined metal mesh evening bag that had a little metal disc with the maker’s mark, attached to the inside of the bag with a little chain loop. I used to attach my keys to it, because otherwise they were a hazard to the lining.

13. Ownedbybear

I've bags with a wee internal key chain.

I'm now convinced the frame is early 20th and someone has redone it. Those asre Jablonec cabochons, I think.

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sweet, nice quality piece, my initial impression is circa 1930s (give or take a few years either way) and all original, the brocade looks right for the period, as does the style. Personally, would suspect French or perhaps Austrian in origin - the linings of similar bags often have a gold-stamp on the lining - does yours say 'MADE IN FRANCE' just above the pocket under the clasp?.

~Cheryl

Debora likes this.
  15. DragonflyWink

Bakersgma likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

Advertisement and article excerpt showing bags along similar lines, both from 1935:

evening-bag-1935-gold-seal-importers.jpg

evening-bag-1935-ladies-home-journal.JPG

~Cheryl

gauntlettgems, Born2it and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

That's interesting: the Etsy frame has strong Czech elements to it. Those flowers are very like many jewels of the time.

gauntlettgems likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted