Featured Vintage tray ... anyone recognise the maker's mark please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CheersDears, Apr 4, 2021.

1. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Hello all. Hope you are enjoying Easter. I've just dug this old thing out of a cupboard. It is well dinged but has always intrigued us, as useless things that are consigned to cupboards often do. Can anyone identify the maker and hazard a guess as to age and origin? It's quite thick ceramic of some kind, glued on to plywood and the metalwork then screwed on. Maybe the ply was an attempt at stabilising it after it cracked so thoroughly. Opinions welcome. Thanks in advance.

P1110950.jpg P1110951.jpg P1110948.jpg P1110949.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's British. Grindlay mark I think, but I'll check. They were made and sold like that.

KikoBlueEyes, ulilwitch and judy like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Per Goddin: Taylor, Tunnicliffe & Co., 1875-98. That hole in the wood was hand cut.

4. Ownedbybear

That's the one, I always muddle those. I've had a vase in that design.

5. Ownedbybear

Different maker though.

26a. (2).jpg 26. Dudson vase.jpg

CheersDears likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They look like a faux coraline.

CheersDears likes this.
  7. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Thanks very much. Taylor Tunnicliffe, 'ey? Never heard of them. It is marvellous having you knowledgeable folk out there.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted