Vintage Two Tone Tiffany Piece w/o Gold Mark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lynn Forsell, May 20, 2022.

1. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Tiffany sterling and gold bracelet, probably from the 1980's or 1990's, marked T&Co 925 ITALY. The piece has applied heavy gold accents that are tested as 14k by XRF. I've seen other Tiffany two tone made in Italy pieces without a gold mark. Is there anyone with knowledge of Tiffany's marking practices that can explain the reason for the lack of a gold mark?

Maybe since the marks are on the sterling silver clasp, which was used in other all-silver pieces, additional gold marks weren't included? Or maybe in Italy, pure gold is 18 karat, so a 14k gold content didn't require being marked?

Any thoughts about this are appreciated.
    Tiffany low res.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this is the same style bracelet since you only show part of yours, but here is one that looks similar from what I can see. Did you also test for 18K on the gold section?

No idea if this bracelet or information in the link is authentic, just linking as it sounds like it is marked in the same way. Seems to have the same clasp and markings.

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/bra...8k-yellow-gold-sterling-silver/id-j_13835962/

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    Lynn Forsell likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lynn Forsell and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

Deboras' link looks like the same photo scratch.png

5. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

Could it be gold-plated sterling, or does the XRF testing device remove all doubt?

Lynn Forsell likes this.
  6. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

XRF is an authoritative source, and jeweler confirms that the gold is not plating.

7. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

8. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Same bracelet and there are necklaces as well, all with the same stamp and authenticated. Question is why Tiffany didn't always mark the pieces made in Italy with the gold stamp if they were 14k and not 18k.

9. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Fakes abound. Be very careful.

Lynn Forsell, Any Jewelry and Debora like this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Are the gold pieces soldered to the silver parts?

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lynn, could we see the marks please?
    Italy's legally recognised and officially marked gold finenesses range from 8k on. Gold doesn't have to be marked if it weighs less than one gram, which could be the case here, although it looks like it could be a little more.
    18k isn't pure gold btw, 24k is.;)

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  12. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Thank you, this is an authenticated piece. I think Any Jewelry hit on the answer.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Thank you for the insight on weight as a criterion for marking of the gold. These Tiffany pieces are among the earlier two tone styles made in Italy, so that makes sense. The typical Italian gold standard for jewelry was 18 karat (hence "pure gold" from a jewelry buyer's standpoint), but Italy made a number of two tone pieces in silver and 14k for Tiffany. Appreciate your expertise!

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Unless Tiffany themselves say so, or you've full provenance, they aren't authenticated.

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There was no answer to my question in post #10. In the USA if made before 2000 they would be considered 1 piece and if assayed for content it would be below 10K and not permitted to be marked as gold. I don't know what the Italian laws were at the time,but was probably the same as USA laws.

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Sorry for the delayed reply! I was out pulling poison ivy from a pachysandra bed, a very involved process! Thank you for your insight. Yes, the gold is affixed to the outside of the silver connectors. You make a good point, which is that the connectors with the gold and silver components may be viewed as single pieces, in which case the silver content exceeds the gold and thus no stamp is made.

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Authenticated by whom? (Just wondering.)

Any Jewelry, komokwa and Ownedbybear like this.
  18. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

Hi and thank you for your interest. I am comfortable with the authenticity of the piece. Here are some examples of the same piece(s) from other sites. They are uncommon and probably date from the 1980's. If you have insight into Tiffany's marking practices for its earlier two tone pieces, I am interested.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/29318612_tiffany-and-co-sterling-silver-bracelet-and-necklace
    https://www.therealreal.com/product...iffany-co-two-tone-multistrand-bracelet-bmd8n

19. Lynn Forsell

Lynn Forsell Member

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

" I am comfortable with the authenticity of the piece."

Now, that's not an answer, to a legit question !

We're all here to learn....but making a statement about the authenticity of an item in question,,,,,without backing it up.......leaves the assertion in doubt.
    imo

Lynn Forsell and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted