Featured Vintage Vase ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Roger B, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Roger B

Roger B New Member

Hi,

A nonprofit I volunteer at was gifted a pair of vases but after several hours of internet research I've had no luck in identifying them. They stand about 11 1/4" tall and are not quite 5" wide. The donor thought they were about a century old, but that's all they could remember.

I couldn't manage a good photo, but on the bottom there are some markings. There are the numbers 8125 followed by what looks to be an L with a V or Y sitting on its bottom line. All of the characters have serifs. There is also a 53 or 55 in a smaller font size.

Any info would be very much appreciated. I am thinking of listing them on eBay, and could also use advice on what terms or key words to use. I'm not even sure what the color is as they have blue,green and white aspects.

Thank you for looking and have a great day!
    Vases pic 01a.jpg Vases pic 02.jpg Vases pic 03.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I see 819.5 IV and something might be here where I marked Vases pic 03.jpg Vases pic 03 1.jpg

Roger B and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How nice you received a pair.

Debora

Roger B, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Pretty! Let the experts weigh in, but I'd say German or Austrian, Art Nouveau, c.1900-1920.

Roger B, kentworld, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I would expect those to have transfer images on them......
    they look , almost unfinished..:(

6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Roger B and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

When one volunteers at a non-profit,are you allowed to buy some of the donations ?

Roger B likes this.
  9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

My guess would be early 20th c, Austria, Germany or Bohemia as part of that area was known then.

Roaring20s, Roger B and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Roger B

Roger B New Member

11. Roger B

Roger B New Member

We actually received 3 SUV loads full of mostly 1950's to 70's cut glassware, and the donor wanted things to go to loving homes, so we asked people to take whatever spoke to them and to donate as they saw fit. A number of items were left over including these 2 vases. We donated almost everything to the Humane Society thrift store, but I thought I would look into the vases, as they looked sort of special.

Roaring20s likes this.
  12. Roger B

Roger B New Member

Oh, beautiful! Thank you so much. I can see in this pic that the mark looks like IV rather than LV. I had wondered if they might be Art Nouveau, but it has been a long time since I took an art class. : )

13. Roger B

Roger B New Member

Roaring20s likes this.
  14. Roger B

Roger B New Member

They also came with a very wide console 'bowl' of a close color and it took me quite a while to realize that the 3 items were not a set. (The bowl turned out to be from Bauer, around 1962.)

15. Roger B

Roger B New Member

Hi Everybody,

This was my first experience on an antiques forum and I didn't know what to expect. I appreciate everyone's answers and kindness, and I now have an idea of how to find an appreciative home for these vases. : )

Cheers,
    Roger

Draft saved Draft deleted