Featured Vintage Wedding circle quilt

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Jan 13, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I was wondering if this was a reproduction or older quilt. It does not have any vintage odors but looks to be hand sewn in most places, except for edges. It's also thin.
    Any ideas ?

Thank You

Billy the Kid.... 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fabrics don't look too old. 1970s on, I'd guess.

Debora

3. billyd3us

1970's ? I seen one similar on ebay and sold for like $200, they said it was antique, could old things not have a smell ? Going to swap meet tomorrow, not sure how much to ask.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a "double wedding ring" pattern. The stitching says Chinese factory made to me. A woman hand quilting wouldn't sew it like that.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is crude.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. billyd3us

Chinese factory really ? Dang it, I was hoping for bug bucks, oh well.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like it. No one who would piece that precisely would hand stitch that sloppily.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. billyd3us

Thanks Debora..I wonder why 2 ladies at thrift store seen me grab it and started talking in Spanish. I guess they didn't know that I was 1/2 Mexican and understood everything they said, the older one told the other lady that she wished they would have got it, reminded her of her Mom's quilt, oh well. I guess those Chinese should never be aloud to export things to the US, they are flooding the market with crap.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'll half bet that was machine stitched not all that many years ago, then a not-very-neatly-quickie-top-stitched-job to fool those who don't know any better!!!!!:smuggrin::rolleyes::smug: No self respecting quilter would ever top stitch like that!!!!!!! BUT, from a DISTANCE, it DOES look nice, as in your first image, Billy!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

My impression, too, is mass-produced 1970s/80s department store quilt. The stitches are sparse and uneven, and the fabrics appear 70s/80s. Nevertheless, it's a nice usable quilt!
    A good collectible quilt would have at least 8-10 even stitches per inch.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. billyd3us

Okay, Thank You for that info..

Aquitaine, bluumz and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted