Featured Vintage Whippet Figurines...Staffordshire?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wenna, Dec 4, 2022.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Hello folks, I am hoping you can help me decide whether these figurines can be confidently referred to as of Staffordshire make? They look pretty good as far as I can tell, but I am no expert in this area. They appear to be made with the slip casting method (if I am remembering that correctly). The standing dog is 4" high, the base is 2 1/3" diameter. The sitting dog is 2 1/4" high, the base is 3 1/4" wide. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I can provide more pics if you'd like...and thanks for your input!!! 20221204_091439-a.jpg 20221204_091710-a.jpg 20221204_091739-a.jpg 20221204_091915-a.jpg 20221204_091957-a.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]..this is the only vintage Whippet I know of..!

Not sure if they are Staffordshire......but they are yummy !!! :playful::playful::playful::playful::hungry::hungry::hungry:

3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Haha, good find!

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's as helpful as I dare to be....regarding pottery .......:sorry::sorry::D

wenna and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Almost certainly made in Staffs, given that England stamp to back that up. They weren't really made in other parts of the UK.

wenna and kentworld like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

These are nice, but later reproductions anywhere after 1891 to early 20th c I reckon.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

So you think these are reproductions, but old(er) ones ("anywhere after 1891 to early 20th c")? I did not do a lot of extensive research so I don't know all of the Staffordshire history or how far back it goes.

kentworld and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. kentworld

Goes back to early 19th c for sure and maybe a little earlier as I'm no expert. However, due to their popularity, there are antique reproductions -- late 19th c reproductions of early 19th c figures. :)

wenna likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think these are later reproductions, 1950's onwards. There are no details in the paws and the facial details are only painted. There isn't enough detail to make them antique items, the red 'England' mark is also anomalous.

kentworld and wenna like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

At least the early 18th C.

kentworld and wenna like this.
  11. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone, I have a much better handle on these now!

komokwa likes this.
  12. kentworld

Thanks, OBB!

Ownedbybear likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted