Featured Vintage Women's handbag macrame. Silvering frame

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Stepan, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

Can you tell me if such a handbag is an antique? The top bezel is silver plated. Top width 135 mm. 20210831_164027.jpg 20210831_164035.jpg 20210831_130224.jpg 20210831_195121.jpg 20210831_195443.jpg

2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It's really pretty. Are there no tags at all inside?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  3. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

There is no stigma.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and ulilwitch like this.
  4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Hmmm... first impression is a 2nd hand rough cast, reproduction from old molds...inside shots please, of lining and frame?

Bronwen, Stepan and judy like this.
  5. Stepan

Stepan Well-Known Member

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The lining and stitching do look vintage, so I am going to stick my neck out and guess 1920s, probably not French. You can google that era for a similar frame design attributed to a maker. Good luck!

Bronwen, judy and Stepan like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree. Those large, sloppy stitches aren't what one would expect.

Debora

Bronwen and Stepan like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Frame is 20s or 30s, it was probably home made, not commercial.

Bronwen and Stepan like this.
  9. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got back from a family reunion... so I'm late to the party. Sorry.

I can't speak re: age of the silver... but I concur that the bag is homemade; not commercial.

However, to me the macrame work speaks more to the Victorian era. We are talking "generalizations" here:

Victorian's loved that "heavy" mourning look, heavy tassels, and heavy black beads; even if they were jet (which was light in weight) but it was often big and chunky .... and they used that mourning look on everything! Clothing, curtains, home furnishings, handbags, furniture! Macrame was a "parlor art" during the Victorian era.

By the 20's - although black was certainly used, their clothing was lighter in weight, lighter in color, tiny beads, lots of fringe - but lighter weight. Handbags were usually fairly petite.

The 30's certainly did a lot of black and things were chunkier and clunkier than in the 20's... but it doesn't have a 30's feel to me.

It is really quite a pretty piece! Despite the attachment to the frame. The work is bold and is well planned. The beads make nice focal points and it seems quite nicely finished with fringe tassels at the bottom.

The photo is one I found on line from the 1800's... just gives the right vibes to me.

So; in the end I vote for Victorian era... 1880's! victorian purse 2.jpg
    Thanks for posting the piece! Fun to speculate!

Cheerio Leslie

judy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted