Vintage Wood & Cloth Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by cbusphilip, Jun 30, 2019.

1. cbusphilip

cbusphilip New Member

Hello Antiquers!

I was hoping someone may be able to provide my fiancé and I a little insight on this chair we purchased. We have no experience with antiques and were wondering the era, manufacturer or any other type of detail that someone may have. The chair is in fair shape but we really have no idea what it is. We just enjoyed the look. Thanks so much for anything you could share with us! 85B22970-9BF8-4340-8864-25871CEA4274.jpeg 179420C4-CF84-476D-9B54-A0E28CE69307.jpeg 87C7BC1B-BC44-4AC3-9C3E-90026B4F0C0C.jpeg 3601F066-70F0-448D-BA91-3E9F612C936C.jpeg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Odd thing. Likely from the 40s-50s. Reupholstered at some point.

Jivvy, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought Danish,circa 1950s at first,but now Im just confused by the traditional lines of the upholstered part. Its got a great look and I bet its comfy.Id pull up some of that black dust cloth and see if theres a label.

Fid and scoutshouse like this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I can help a little bit on your chair.

1. The rounded (stuffed) vertical rows are called channels. If only the back (where a sitter's back would rest) of the chair had those "channels" then it would be called a "channel back" chair. Because the sides of the channeled back come (slightly) toward the front of the chair at the arm rest(s), someone "might?" call it a "channel-back wing chair" but others perhaps would not call it that.

2. You and your fiancé can look up (lots of examples) "channel back chair" and see what you think. ;)

I will tell you that I have a "channel back wing chair" and it is a very comfortable chair to sit in, read in, or even take a short nap in, but only the top half of the back of my wing chair is "channeled -- not the seat area.;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    scoutshouse and cbusphilip like this.
  5. cbusphilip

cbusphilip New Member

Thanks for all your help! I'm suspecting it was reupholstered as I looked carefully it looks like the velvet? was crudely nailed into the frame at some points. It has a very distinct look... thanks again!

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The upholstery just screams early 70s to me.

Fid, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't do it any favors.

Debora

Fid, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  8. cbusphilip

cbusphilip New Member

Would teak be appropriate wood for a chair of this era? It has straight grain and under light the color is dark yellow to light brown?

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not teak. Looks like birch or beech. Similar looking furniture woods often stained to look like other woods. Birch used mostly in North America. Beech used mostly in Europe.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks like a classic 1950s chair to me. Nice frame - has an Ercol look. Here, it would be elm or beech.

Draft saved Draft deleted