Featured Vintage Writing Utensils

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dcfirebottle, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

The only mark on the fountain pen is the number 7. The pencil holder is marked A.W. Faber France. Also marked sterling. Not sure about the stone. Looks like a ruby but who knows. Any idea on age or any other info? Unable to find out much about either one other than AW Faber is an old pencil company but no other examples of sterling stuff that I could find online anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Hello! The pencil holder by A.W Faber France is I believe made for a Chatelaine.The top ring,was used to hang on one's chatelaine, or to wear as a pendant. Not sure about date my guess is 1880-1930 ish.

dcfirebottle, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The pen appears to be a dip pen, not a fountain pen, and probably around 1900.

dcfirebottle, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the mark A.W. Faber existed since 1784 and stands for Anton Wilhelm Faber of Nürnberg (Stein), who was the son of the companyfounder.
    in 1896 the name was changed to Faber-Castell.
    I find no online proof that an independant production in France existed for the moment. certainly a salesroom in Paris somewhere. for further research clear pics of the marks would be needed.

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not specifically for chatelaine. those "Bleistiftschieber" (pencil pushers) were hanging in every factory-shed on a chain or cord nailed to the standing desk or to the wall. or near the cash register at the butcher's to prevent the earwax falling into the fresh mince.

dcfirebottle and daveydempsey like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You can always work it out with a pencil :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

worst butcher I've ever seen was on the road from Weymouth to Portland Bill. every time he passed the halves that hung in the shop, he gave them a whack with the chopper to drive away the flies. I wondered if the people ate more flies or meat...:eek:

8. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Wow...butchers must have been very fancy back in the day with a silver and garnet pencil pusher:)

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they were....they were once the life blood of every town and village.....

10. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Best I could do.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted